We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas/New Year at the Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena

A Sunny Island
Level Contributor
111 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas/New Year at the Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena

Firstly Seasons Greetings to everyone.

If anyone is coming to the Riu Puero Marina Hotel in Benalmadena for Christmas/New Year then I truly hope you won't be diappointed with the christmas programme like I am. Whenever I have stayed at hotels overseas for Christmas, they usually put on a lot of entertainment etc over the Christmas period. This hotel most lunch times they are offering a snack menu, ie grilled prawns, tapas, mixed fried fish, paella different things on different days,(although these are all listed in the Christmas programme they are at an additional charge). The entertainment programme is primarily the same entertainment that is on during the week anyway. On christmas eve the lounge bar will close at 11 pm so the staff can enjoy christmas with their families! Christmas day there will be a christmas cocktail before dinner and a christmas buffet. New Year';s eve, again a cocktail apertifif, followed by a gala buffet, with no entertainment until 10.30 pm, then at 2355 its "Grapes of Good Luck" On New Year's Day instead of breakfast, there will be a special brunch. I would really have thought with the money one pays to stay at a decent hotel for christmas/new year they could at least put on some decent enterainment and somehow found some christmas spirit! Even with staying in Spanish hotels for Christmas/NY before they have for example had children or adults singing xmas carols (here nothng). If you have children staying in this hotel, then lucky them Santa Claus will be visiting on Christmas Eve but at 5.30 pm! Even the so called special things they advertise for breakfast, ie churros with chocolate on 27th December, you can have these for breakfast everyday anyway!

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas/New Year at the Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena

I know it seems strange to non-Spanish - especially when you are paying a premium price to stay over the Festive period - but here in Andalucia Three Kings (5-6 January) is still far more important than Christmas.

Christmas Eve is a very family orientated night hence so many restaurants and shops are closed and hotels do try to give as many staff the night off as possible.

As for Father Christmas - this is not a Spanish concept just a recent innovation due to the number of ex-pats over here now. The majority of Spanish still get their presents from the Three Kings not Santa Claus - and don't forget that the majority of hotel Guests will be Spanish not British.

As I said, I understand how frustrating this may be to visitors from other countries so please do not be offended by my reply - I am just trying to put a local perspective on your comments.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
17,470 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas/New Year at the Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena

How thoughtless of staff to want to be with their families on Xmas Eve!!!!

Perhaps more research needed for next year.

A Sunny Island
Level Contributor
111 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas/New Year at the Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena

Casaiandra, I respect your comments from a local point of view. I will also advise that the hotel in fact seems to be composed mainly of Germans, with the odd sprinkling of Dutch, English and French. There are no Spanish guests in the hotel as far as I know.

Well it will be interesting to see if the hotel does anything special for 6th January, as I will be still be here then!

I have stayed in Spanish hotels before that have actually provided a full christmas entertainment programme, visit by a choir, etc to have some Christmas spirit, this is possibly why I feel so disappointed with this hotel, hence my comments about this hotel.

4. Re: Christmas/New Year at the Riu Puerto Marina Benalmadena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 09:50