We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Topic
Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

Hey everyone

Just thought i would give you a heads up re the Taxis in this area.

For some reason they are starting to charge ridiculous prices for journeys.. and i don't know why.

There is a saying here that there is one price for the spanish, one for the English and one for the English that try or can speak Spanish.. and in my years of living here that is very true... HOWEVER.. i live here and speak spanish and still get charged a ridiculous amount (not saying i SHOULD get a cheaper rate but with experience that has always been the case for some reason).

I sometimes get a taxi home from work, yes because i am lazy, but also because i am too tired and at 7am can't be bothered walking home. The prices always vary, never the same even though the route is the same. It takes approx 2 mins in a taxi and costs .. wait for it.. €8!! Now, my friend lives a good 15 mins away up in the Pueblo and his fare is always €10 :S Would love to know how the work out the tariffs.

But what really prompted this thread was that i have just returned from Carrefour which is again a 2 min taxi ride down the hill to my apartment (had too many bags of heavy things) and the fare was €9 AND it is daytime.

So, i do suggest you get a quote before you embark on any local taxi journey just so you don't get a shock at the other end.

Some things to remember:

It is more expensive after a certain time - i think its 10pm

It is more expensive at the weekends

If you telephone for a taxi they will add €1 to your bill for handling.

And yes, i did take the above into consideration when i worked out that it was too expensive ;)

I cannot wait to get my scooter, will save myself a fortune :D

Hope that helps.

CB

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Pueblo - Boutique Hotel
Hotel Pueblo - Boutique...
251 Reviews
Benalmadena, Spain
A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

Benlamadena licensed taxis should operate a flat rate €5 fare within their area. As you say, there is a surcharge after 22:00, at weekends and on public holidays.

The €1 charge you pay for telephone bookings goes to the office as commission for handling the call.

They also charge extra per item for things you put in the taxi's boot.

You can afford it CB so stop whingeing!

AM.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

So does that mean that Carrefour IS open on a Sunday now??? lol

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

All our local supermarkets are open every Sunday from today until mid-September.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,905 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

CB: Shame to see some things never change, when I moved to benalmadena in the early 80's could get charged upto 3 times what i thought was the correct fare from airport.. In the end just gave the driver what i thought was correct fare and walked off, driver always got back into his cab without a comment. Did this for local journeys as well, have to say even on our recent visit had to remind drivers i want the shortest route, not the senic route. There inability to be aware of any destination you request does them credit, when i get a negative response to a destination just tell them i will give directions, some road closures in arroya this year did tax the brain cells

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

Si Paul, Carrefour es abierto :D And, i even braved the walk up hill to it when it was 40 degrees, big mistake.. once t shirt was removed i did get some meeps from horns, probably to get me to put it back on though haha.

Ian, Arroyo is a mission at the moment, i was up there the other day and alot of drivers were confused to say the least.

I find Airport runs are ok and pretty much standard €20 fares etc, so that is not my beef. It is the more localised fares.. how can a 2 min journey be nearly €10 when a journy from Malaga to Benalmadena be only €20??

As i say, can't wait to get my scooter then i will be as free as a bird :D

CB

Mentioned in this post
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Benalmadena
Benalmadena
Costa del Sol, Spain
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

Can ya just Picture CB on his scooter, 30 carrier bags of shopping haning of the sides , wobbling all over the road..... very spanish!!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

Oh Paul thats not funny is it..ROFLMAO..

CB, when you get your scooter, you could offer cheap rides to Carrefor & back, bet you will make a blooming fortune...

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

LOL nooo, only for a few bags haha, any more than 6 bags and i will get it delivered..;-)

Mind you, i do need a new mircrowave.. wonder if i can fit it in me rucksack ??? :p

CB

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

I'm pleased that you have noticed this CB because I questioned it back in March when I was charged 6 euros from La Roca hotel to the art Gallery just past the Triton hotel at about 8 in the evening. The hotel phoned for it.

I paid up as a one off , notched it up as a never to do again ..... I could have got up to Arroyo for that! .

Also going back to Malaga airport normally 25 euros, 26 on a Sunday . Makes you smile ?

Mentioned in this post
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
A M
Benalmadena, Spain
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Taxi's - My Beef grrr

€6 is the correct fare for that journey. A minimum fare of €5 operates in the area plus €1 for booking over the phone.

AM.