We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over charged

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Over charged

Was silly enough to book with Thomson but have since found out that we could have got our holiday with Portland £300 cheaper . Thomson obviously dont offer a price match as they know they are the most expensive taking the hard earned cash of the holiday maker. Will never book with Thomson again.

wales
Level Contributor
435 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over charged

Portland are Thomson, see if you can transfer you're holiday. Even paying admin for the change it could still work out cheaper.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over charged

called thomson and told them about how much we were over charged but they refused to offer any change or refund. thomson are more than willing to sell you an already over priced holiday but make it very clear that they will not make the slightest good will gester of even a partial refund on the £300 they over priced the holiday. will know never to use thomson again.

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over charged

I am sorry if this causes offence but why should Thomsons offer you a discount once you have booked?

Surely it is your responsibility to check all tour operators prices before making a booking and deciding which offers the best deal for you?

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over charged

sadly not all tour companys have direct departures from northern ireland and at the time of booking the only companys giving a quote for the holiday were thomson and falcon. had i have been aware that portland had departures from belfast i would have went with them not thomson. when i made the booking with thomson they sad that they did offer a price match but failed to mention that the offer was only valid for 24 hours from the time of booking.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Over charged

As someone who keeps an eye on prices on the internet, you quickly realise how much prices vary week to week. A holiday that isnt offering a free holiday place incredibly appears with one out of the blue. You must do your homework, i reckon i've saved hundreds of pound by spending time searching out the best deals.

As suggested thomsons/portland are the same company but dont particurly offer the same prices BUT thats good cause it gives you two bites at the cherry.

for what its worth ive actually found thomsons has given the cheapest holidays (for me anyway) over the last few years.

london
Level Contributor
379 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Over charged

I sympathise but hey with the british tourist market as it is they are going to have to change! As a lot of high street travel agents have gone bust I normally book via the internet for this reason. it is fair enough if we don't spot a cheaper deal on the internet. but i think if the company such as Thomson offer you the highr price deal and they know it is cheaper with one of their own companies it is very suspect. I suspect my deal with Thomson is cheaper with portland they had no brochures and did not mention them when booking my hotel. but I later spotted their direct advertising and have seen postings of people with cheap deals.

Annoying. To the poster who said it was up to the person to find the deal I would say the resorts will be the losers including the hotels as people will not do overpriced packages. If they feel they are being ripped off they will stay at home. Plenty of destinations with cheap airlines from the uk. those reliant on package tourists suffer. a little rant but i have travelled quite a bit and don't like people being ripped off. The big tourist chains need to wake up to this.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Over charged

<If they feel they are being ripped off they will stay at home.>

It's hardly the people in Spain that are doing the 'ripping-off' and anyway you get exactly the same price variations with UK holidays.

The big players in the travel industry have ALWAYS done this - altering prices according to variations in demand - the difference now is that you have the internet and so can make price comparisons.

It's 2009, not 1989, you're the consumer and now you have the information - giving you the power. So use it.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Over charged

The tour companys should be made declare in advertising and brouchers what other companys they are connected to and should be made give the prices for each. Why should the customer have to research and find out this information. I know I will never book with Thomson again as they are not clear in there pricing and all the clauses they have are in there favour. Once they have your booking the customer loses all rights other than to cancel and lose your money.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Over charged

Why should´nt you do the work? When you buy a tv or a washing machine or a car, do you not look at all different suppliers and shops, or do you just buy the first one you see and expect the shop to give you the money back when you see one cheaper up the raod? The internet is there for all to use, it can save you a lot of money. And most hotels here now offer good rates on their own websites if you book direct. Anyway I hope you have a great holiday. Put this down to a bad experience, not to be repeated. Have fun.

london
Level Contributor
379 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Over charged

I get your point family outings

there will be fewer big companies if they continue to mislead or be economical with the truth, already a lot of companies have gone bust or merged because people are taking their business elsewhere. They don't often know anything about the resorts they are selling packages on and overprice trips in resorts.