We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving licence requirement at malaga airport

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
driving licence requirement at malaga airport

i have a car rental booked for next month from malaga airport.

as i passed my driving test over 30 years ago i have one of the old green driving licences.

i have used this regularly on visits to the USA when renting cars without any problem [ also in tenerife ] . but someone has told me that i may need an international driving permit in spain as my photo is not on the green licence.

is this correct , please.?

Bridgend S.Wales
Level Contributor
188 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: driving licence requirement at malaga airport

Hi adge47

I dont know the ansa to your question but your best bet is probably to email the company through which you have booked the hire car they will definatley know. Have a great trip

Eastbourne, UK
Level Contributor
669 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: driving licence requirement at malaga airport

Your 'old' green licence is absolutely fine. A licence is a licence and agencies do not stipulate that it needs to be of the new variety in order to be valid.

There is also no need whatsoever for an International Driving Permit for licences issued within the EU. The IDP is a belt and braces document should you happen to be stopped by the Police whilst on the road as it provides a translation of your licence conditions to non-English speakers, but is not a requirement.

Don't forget that the rental agency also need to have sight of your passport so this negates any need for a driving licence to also carry a photograph to prove ID. I have used Europa Goldcar, Crown, Record, Centauro, Niza and others and my paper licence has always been fine.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
3. Re: driving licence requirement at malaga airport

great phil ,

thanks very much for your confirmation

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: driving licence requirement at malaga airport

No photo on my driving licence either, but no problem with car hire at Malaga airport.

5. Re: driving licence requirement at malaga airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 11:52
Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena