We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing and other ideas

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
764 posts
332 reviews
Border crossing and other ideas

I'm going to be in San Antonio from Dec 31 - Jan 5 and was thinking of making the 2 hour drive down to Laredo. Would be interested in crossing the border as well for lunch. What else is there to see in the area?

Thanks!

G

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

The general consensus here is that crossing into a border town is not worth the time, money or potential danger. About the only thing there (except cheap dental, medical, and drugs) is cheap booze. If you factor in gas and time it's not so cheap. Virtually all of the souvenirs in the border towns are available here. We have great Mexican food here.

What kinds of things are you into? Give us a little more info and we can sggest a much safer alternative.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
265 reviews
2. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

The Laredo area is involved in a drug war; I wouldn't think it would be a safe place to be crossing the border right now. Personally I'd give it a pass. Do a quick search, and you'll see a lot of articles about it. Most border towns these days are places you want to avoid. I'd spend the time in San Antonio and Austin instead, and maybe spend a day in Gruene.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,036 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

Nuevo Laredo has dried up somewhat do to all the problems...even before then, I would find better deals on the Laredo Texas side.....just to say that you went to Mexico is not enough of a reason using up time, gas etc and not absolutely safe..too many things can go wrong.

if you really have the urge to go, I drove over to Acuna across from Del Rio last summer and had no problems.

Edited: 02 November 2010, 13:54
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
764 posts
332 reviews
4. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

What i was thinking was:

Friday the 31st arrive - party on the Riverwalk and ring in the new year

Saturday the 1st in San Antonio - Spurs game that evening

Sunday the 2nd - day trip to Mexico

Monday the 3rd and Tuesday the 4th - on the beach, Corpus Christi area

Wednesday the 5th - head back to SA and fly out

I was in Texas 2 years ago and border crossed at Nuevo Progresso and it was neat. Had a good time, had some good food over there. Just looking for a fun experience but it sounds like ya'll are against that.

What is Gruene, not familar with that.

How was is Del Rio from SA?

Thanks!

G Man

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
265 reviews
5. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

We used to cross the border too, but not these days. If you're looking for a party atmosphere, Gruene probably isn't for you. It's a cute little town where you can eat at the Grist Mill right on the water and visit Texas' oldest dance. Good if you want to see some live music.

http://gristmillrestaurant.com/

http://www.gruenehall.com/dec2010.html

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,036 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

for food, go to the south south side of San Antonio i...find your way to the San Antonio Shoe (SAS) factory...across the street is Los Valles taco and fruit stand..one of my favorites.... bistek and carnita tacos with only cilantro, onion lime juice and some salsa verde...with a Mexican Coke and top it off with fresh fruit....similar to what you would find at a street vendor in Laredo.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,036 posts
85 reviews
7. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

distance to Del Rio or Eagle Pass is the same as driving to Laredo...a little over 2 hours

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,036 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

cnn.com/2010/…index.html

total Americans killed this year in MX. 54...6 just this week

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

Just say no --- not worth it !

10. Re: Border crossing and other ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Laredo