We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

Any ideas which hotel this could be? We're trying to come over later next week (Wednesday through Saturday) to show 13 year old son the sights of Houston. We'll have a car. I've been looking at Hotel Granduca but rates keep going up and now I can only find a king suite; not two beds. Any ideas?

Also open to suggestions on entertaining son..he's bright and loves to eat in good restaurants, especially local favorites.

Thanks for your input.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

Have you ever looked at betterbidding.com? They have a listing of hotels for both Hotwire and Priceline- here's the one for Hotwire Texas

www.betterbidding.com/index.php…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

77056 is the Galleria area and there are several hotels in that general area from the most expensive to budget. I don't think anything special is happening so should be availability. Entertain / restaurants - all depends on each ones taste. NASA is an option, then you have all the museums, check to see if anything exciting at the Miller Outdoor, the zoo, Kemah boardwalk (ny NASA), Forbidden City (in Katy), maybe a sporting event. Go to www.b4-u-eat.com and check out the restaurants. Again several - if you lae us know your interests we can narrow things down.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

The 4.5 * could easily be the Granduca. Can't think of any other place in that area that rates a 4.5.

Fun place to eat is the Armadillo Palace on Kirby Drive, just east of Hwy 59 freeway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

I would definitely recommend going to the Terracotta Warriors exhibition at the Museum of Natural Science. www.hmns.org The website suggests getting tickets on line in advance. It is a wonderful exhibition and is only going to be in three U.S. cities. The permanent collection of the MNS is really good, too.

flickr.com/photos/… I always take visitors to the David Adikes big-head presidents. Totally amazing. (I haven't been there in awhile, so you might call first to be sure they haven't been transported somewhere else.)

Check out other things to do here: www.artshound.com

Click on the "kids and families" tab toward the top. The Beer Can House is really cool and definitely worth going to. It's near Memorial Park, and not far from the Galleria.

A good place to eat that is not far from the museum district is Niko Niko's (Greek).

Another local favorite is Pico's (Mexican), which is not far from the Galleria.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

Thanks for the wonderful information. Any other local restaurant favorites would be appreciated.

Years ago I went to the Last Concert. I see that it's still around. Any thoughts on this restaurant?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

Never been to Last Concert - not even heard of it until now. After reading about it wondering if I should go and give it a try!

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

I think I'll write a new post on the Last Concert. I was there in the 70's after college visiting friends who had moved to Houston. The only way in was to knock on the door and the owner, an older lady at the time, would ask your name and then let you in. I saw on their website that you still knock!! I just thought my 13 year old son would get a kick out of this.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

Hi ILL,

We take our boys, ages 16-23 to Barnaby's on West Gray; you can look it up on the B4 u eat webiste that is linked here; that webiste is a Great tool, to find restuarnats and reviews, in a particular area of Houston., type of food, etc.

Barnabys' has a few locations, but we love the one on W Gray. VERY big portions, and one of the BEST hamburgers and fries in H-town! Great salads,ribs, and also spinach and cheese lasagna...I think I have covered all of the "boy food", havent I? :) Add in homemade strawberry lemonade, and a full bar for the adults, and you have a great spot for eating. It is casual, but nice,and has a great waitstaff.

Salt Grass Steakhouses are doing a promotion for a $12 dinner than includes sliced steak, potatoes, salad and bread. SGS is a good place for a good meal, and generous portions, too. There are quite a few "stimulus menu 'packages(lowered prices!) on restaurant websites, also found on B4u eat.

For good pizza, we like Fuzzy's Pizza, there are 3 in Houston. Lots of bbq places, and good Mexican food, too, depending on what area of town you are in; we prefer the Mami amd Papi type local places, rather than the big chains.

Hope you all have a good time!

cc,

Cupcake

9. Re: Hotwire 4.5 Star Hotel in 77056 zip??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2010, 11:48