We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now Orleans to Houston

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
Now Orleans to Houston

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this on but I’ll try anyway!

My friend and I are travelling around the USA for a few weeks and we have all our flights and accomodation booked. We will be spending a few nights in New Orleans and then head to Houston. Flights were a bit pricy so we thought it would be better to go by land and we would see more. Are there just buses between the two or is there a train? What would be the recommended way to get from New Orleans to Houston? We are staying at the Hyatt Place Galleria

Special Offer
Space Center Houston Admission
3 Reviews
from US$ 24.95*
US$ 29.95
Houston CityPASS
50 Reviews
from US$ 59.00*
2 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
471 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Now Orleans to Houston

I have not taken either but Greyhound Buses and Amtrak go between the two cities.

Driving is easy! I-10 is pretty much a straight shot. How much time do you have to drive? What time are you leaving and is it a weekday? Houston rush hour isn’t fun and I-10 near Baton Rouge is dreadful on a Friday afternoon. We take Hwy 90 from Lafayette when traveling this route on a busy day. It’s a tad longer but more scenic and it passes through some towns. Either way works.

There are lots of options along the way. The things we like to do along I-10 are the following:

- Buccee’s: It’s a gas station but it is awesome and we always stop going to Houston and heading back to Nola. It’s located in Baytown.

- You can stop and take a hike and soak in some views at Sam Houston Jones State Park in Lake Charles.

-Billy’s for boudin in Scott.

-Vermilionville Historic Park in Lafayette.

- Bayou Teche Brewery in Arnaudville. It’s a tiny detour for a great setting! Usually a live band on Saturday’s. If detouring here, Poche’s is good for cajun food.

- Take a swamp tour in Henderson and see the Atchafalaya swamp.

- You could stop and see the Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge.

If you take Hwy 90 from Lafayette, you could stop at Rip Van Winkle Gardens and also Avery Island for a tabasco tour.

In addition to those routes, there is a really long way that you could explore. You could take a ride down the Creole Nature Trail from Lake Charles and explore the Louisiana coastal area on Hwy 82 all the way to Abbeville. Then take Hwy 14 to Hwy 90.

Post this in the road trip forum too. They might be able to assist you in planning the road trip. Have fun!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
371 reviews
2. Re: Now Orleans to Houston

Daniela--

Have you looked into flying Southwest Airlines? It's a low-cost airline that has several non-stop flights daily between NOLA and HOU (Houston Hobby Airport), Houston's close-in airport, for as low as $80 per person one-way. Southwest only books through its own website (www.southwest.com), not through any of the travel search sites. Southwest also allows 2 bags per passenger free of charge. (It's a flight of just over 1 hour.)

FWIW, the drive is at least a 5.5 hour drive (via I-10), and longer via the "more interesting" routes described in Post #1. I-10 is usually heavily trafficked by large trucks, and is, IMHO, a less-than-pleasant drive.

When you get to Houston, you probably will want to use Uber or Lyft to get to the Galleria Hyatt, and use it to get around the city.

Reply to: Now Orleans to Houston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted