We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

Wichita Falls
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

We are planning our vacation for June. We went to Galveston last year and enjoyed--just lots of seaweed. We were thinking about Corpus to try something new. It will just be me, my husband and a 6 year old. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

We did the dolphin tour last year--but I noticed Corpus has the Dolphin connection where you can actually touch them. Does Galeveston have anything like this???

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

If you also are looking for another beach stay Port Aransas will be best imo.

Mentioned in this post
Port Aransas
Port Aransas
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

Corpus Christi has a lot to do, but I don't like it's beaches. You have to go to Mustang Island, across a bridge from Corpus, to get a good beach. I think Galveston is more interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

We had some friends just come from Port A and they loved it too!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

I consider Port A and Corpus to be the same vacation - Anywhere along Mustang Island gives you easy access to both.

For scenic quality, I'd rankTexas beaches this way:

1. South Padre Island/Port Isabel

2. North Padre Island/Padre Island National Seashore/Corpus Christi

3. Mustang Island/Port Aransas

4. Surfside

5. Galveston

6. Bolivar Penninsula/Crystal Beach/Sea Rim State Park

They get better as you go south along the coast. The closer you get to the Mississippi River, the more brown/muddy the water will be...

If you are comparing tourist infrastructure (like available accommodations, food, activities, etc.), I'd move Surfside to #5, and take Bolivar Penninsula off the list for now (that entire area is still in the process of debris removal and rebuilding from Hurricane Ike).

Mentioned in this post
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Port Aransas
Port Aransas
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Crystal Beach
Crystal Beach
64 Reviews
Port Bolivar, TX
Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

1+ for Port Aransas

Mentioned in this post
Port Aransas
Port Aransas
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
richardson
Level Contributor
15 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

I grew up on the Gulf Coast and love them both for different reasons.

Galveston is a more interesting town with historic architecture and lots to do off the beach. I'll take it's murky water and seaweed with better shells over the sterility of Destin Florida where i hardly found any shells.

Corpus Christi has Mustang and Padre islands where the beaches are better with more sand dunes and a variety of shells. These beaches aren't really close to the town so most families camp or rent condos on the water instead of staying in CC proper.

CC also has the Texas state aquarium and the Battleship Lexington which are fun for kids.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
east texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

Skip Corpus and go to Port Aransas! It has much more charm than Corpus. We've been to Galveston, Port A and Corpus and LOVE Port A the best! Great restaurants (La Playa for Mexican for starters, then for more upscale there's Shell's and tons more). Also, you have to take your 6 year old to FIRE IT Ceramics. He/She gets to choose what they'd like to paint (a million choices), you pick your colors and paint away. They fire it and you pick it in 2 days. Ceramics are really kind to bad painters - it looks good regardless of paint job.... Get homemade salted caramel from the local candy store. Go for a day trip to Corpus and see the USS Lexington and the Aquarium, it's only 40 mins from Port A. We're going in June this year too and just booked a place. Hurry, it's filling up fast!!!

Mentioned in this post
Port Aransas
Port Aransas
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
USS LEXINGTON
USS LEXINGTON
2,815 Reviews
Corpus Christi, TX
8. Re: Galvestor or Corpus Christi--which one is better???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:11