We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for college couple

Columbia, Missouri
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
suggestions for college couple

My boyfriend and I decided to take a four day trip to Galveston to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. We are going December 27-30 while we are both on break from college. I am 20 and my boyfriend is 21. We were given tickets for the pyramid aquarium and rainforest, but I would love to also experience the city more. I would so grateful for any suggestions of things we shouldn't miss out on especially with entertainment. Thanks for your help!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,575 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for college couple

calendar of events...on top right, move to DEC calendar and move your cursor atop the date you are interested in....

...several tours, Schillterbahn water park-heated season etc.

http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for college couple

Ride the Bolivar ferry from Galveston Island to the Bolivar peninsula. See how many dolphins you can spot, and view the large ships coming into Galveston Bay. It's free!

Houston
Level Contributor
5 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for college couple

If you want to check out some cool shops and restaurants - go to The Strand & surrounding area. It's a pretty neat little area if you're into that kind of thing & if you like Mexican food you can eat at Original Mexican Cafe while down there. It's pretty popular & the food is really good! Also - if into these types of things...there are some great tours of historical homes and haunted hotels and such that you can easily find online.

Edited: 26 November 2011, 04:10
Texas
Level Contributor
215 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for college couple

Usually when I visit I stop by East Beach for a nice walk on the beach. There used to be a club house and facilities there but they were wiped out by Ike so now it's a long stretch of beach next to a spartina marsh leading to the ship chanel. It'll be cold so I predict it'll be very quiet.

The Elissa and Seaport Museum should be open. The ship is a beauty, even though she's in need of some major repairs. The volunteers are enthusiastic and super knowledgeable.

The Strand is a lovely shopping and entertainment district. Everything's laid back and will be decorated for Christmas. There's a nice Mediterranean restaurant there that has never let us down. Spouse and I like going through Col. Bubbies military surplus store. You never know what you're going to find there. A couple blocks away you'll find Post Office Street, which has bars and nightclubs. There's a fantastic sushi place there called Sky Bar. If you prefer your seafood cooked Saltwater Grill, also on Post Office, is quite good, but not cheap by any means.

For casual dining I like Mosquito Cafe, located in a residential area not far from UTMB. Relatively inexpensive with huge portions. I really love their sandwiches and lemon cake. Not to mention their fabulous herbal teas. A few of the residents near the Cafe have some of the sculptures made from the trees that were killed during Ike. The sculptures were commissioned as part of the rebuilding process for the island. Also, look for water damage lines in the businesses on the island. It's amazing they went through that.

If you're interested in the history of the island you can visit a few of the landmarks, such as the Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion. I believe both have been restored following Ike damage.

If you like submarines, visit Seawolf Park. If you like trains there's the Railroad Museum. And if you want to learn all about offshore oil exploration and technology there's the Ocean Star Oil Museum. If you like planes there's the Lone Star Flight Museum.

5. Re: suggestions for college couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 15:48