We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip in september

Crowley, Louisiana
1 post
trip in september

Me and a few friends are planning to go to galveston the middle of september. What should we expect since all of the hurricanes in the past years? Also what is the best things to do while there?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: trip in september

If I could predict hurricanes a month ahead of time, I wouldn't be here answering question, I'd be jetting around the world! :)

Beach, shopping (art and antiques,) the Grand Theatre if there's a show are always on the top of my list. There's some neat historical homes and museumes. We also like to take the ferry over to the Bolivar peninsula.

NASA and Kemah are also destinations within a short drive.

The Woodlands, Texas
1 post
2. Re: trip in september

Hi there- there's really only been one hurricane to impact Galveston in recent years, and that was Ike in 2008. The rainforest pyramid at Moody Gardens had to be restored and that opened in May 2011 so most attractions are operational again. The big difference is that the storm surge from Ike killed a lot of trees in Galveston, but the residents have made that a fun part of a visit now by carving a lot of them into statues. You can get a map of the best ones at any hotel and the drive around to see them- it's a lot of fun.

One thing to keep in mind is that Texas is in the middle of a very severe drought. There are water restrictions and that's made a lot of vegetation very dry and trees are dying everywhere. A nice tropical depression would be welcome right now- nothing that causes a lot of flooding or anything, but something that soaks SE Texas and puts back some of the -20 rainfall we're experiencing. So right now, everything is extremely hot (100+ temps all month), the water is very warm, and we're all just praying for rain.

Fun things to do are Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, the historical tours, shop on the Strand, ride the Bolivar ferry, and just relax!

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

Edited: 29 August 2011, 23:28
3. Re: trip in september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 18:46
Get answers to your questions about Galveston