We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galveston in October

Treynor, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Galveston in October

My wife and I are looking at taking a long weekend in Galveston in late October. What can we expect as far as weather, water temperatures, and crowds? We're probably looking at staying at the Hilton.

Thanks for your input.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galveston in October

You'll be happy with everything. Hurricane season is still in effect, but usually not a factor.

Temps are warm enough but not hot, and water temps fine for swimming.

Crowds will only be there on the weekends if some event is going on.

Ghost tours are popular at this time of year. If interested, you may want to check for availability. We took one last year and it was interesting.

www.galveston.com for event schedule.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galveston in October

Wonderful time of year but avoid the Columbus Day weekend.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galveston in October

It's usually in the high 70s during the day and high 60s at night. If you stay at the Hilton, I'd recommend staying in the tall tower portion there - it's a nice spot. I honestly don't know if it will be warm enough to swim. Temps start to cool off towards the end of September usually. The Spot and Mosquito Cafe are good places to get casual meals. Don't forget to go to La King's for candy and ice cream, and be sure to check out Moody Gardens if you have time.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galveston in October

I find the water too cool to swim in October. The air temperature may be mid-80's, but the water is much cooler. Bright sunshine, and cool breezes make the land temps very favorable though. If you plan to stay on land, come on down...it's beautiful.

Exton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galveston in October

Hi! I am curious why Tet14 above said to avoid Galveston over Columbus Day Weekend.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galveston in October

What do you think yourself Tajar?

Exton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Galveston in October

Not really sure if I understand what you mean, Tet14. I am not from the area, but thinking of visiting Houston/Galveston area over Columbus Day Weekend this year. Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Exton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Galveston in October

Is it because of the hurricane season ?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galveston in October

Last time we were in that area it was rather busy the Columbus Day weekend. We prefer a more quiet periode like we plan to arrive after that this year. But we are seniors and no longer partytigers -lol- And we always travel without reservations so after this weekend will be better for us.

Galveston, Txq
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galveston in October

There is a big Oktoberfest which is on Saturday Oct. 22, 2011. It starts at 11:00 am & goes on until 11:00PM. A German band will play during the day off & on. Plenty of beer. There are crafts, food (homemade German food too), booths with many items to see / buy. On Friday night there is a local band (Midlife Crisis) that will play in the evening (usually starts about 7:00PM & lasts until about 11:00PM. This is not really German music. The event is held on 25th & G by First Lutheran Church. Kids activities too.

Get answers to your questions about Galveston