We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do over Memorial Weekend

Dallas
Level Contributor
122 posts
Things to Do over Memorial Weekend

My boyfriend and I are thinking of spending Memorial Weekend in either the Hill Country or in Galveston. Any recommendations on things to do, if we decide on Galveston? Ideas I've seen are: Lunch or Dinner Cruise and Moody Gardens. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Things to Do over Memorial Weekend

I like the hill country better but I live close to Galveston so I can go anytime. It really depends on what you like to do in your free time. If you like the coastline and beach then you'll fnd all sorts of things to do in Galveston. But if you like a laid-back, relaxing trip then the Hill Country might suit you better.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Things to Do over Memorial Weekend

I enjoy the hill country, but since I live in Galveston, it stands to reason that I like to escape here once in a while too. There are several art studios downtown and you can always go for a walk on the beach. There is a cinema. You may want to check with the convention and visitors bureau because at one time there was a "ghost expedition" I don't know if they are still doing that, but Galveston does have a lot of colorful history and stories. Some of the old homes can be toured: The most notable place to tour is The Bishop's Palace on 14th and Broadway. Along harborside there is a film called "The Great Storm" which is about the hurricane of 1900. There is also an old sailing ship to tour if you would like (It goes out about 1 or 2 times a year just around the island) & they still sail it just as it was done originally. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Things to Do over Memorial Weekend

Galveston has some fun things to do...The Strand for shopping and eating out, Moody Gardens, Duck tour is fun it's a car/bus type vehicle that goes from land into the water. Along the seawall you can rent bikes of all shapes & sizes by the hour. Check out Gina's for Italian food...it's a small place but food is good. Take the ferry across the bay - you can park your car and just walk onto the ferry and then ride back/forth & it's free! You should be able to see some dolphins. Hope you have a great trip!

4. Re: Things to Do over Memorial Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 01:47
Get answers to your questions about Galveston
Recent Conversations