We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Tag and Car rental advice

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Toll Tag and Car rental advice

Hello everyone,

I have 2 quick questions and would appreciate any responses.

1. As a tourist how do I get a Toll tag immediately I pick up the rental car at DFW. I am renting a car for 3 weeks and my flight into Dallas from the UK arrives at 23.30hrs. I will be travelling with a baby so would like the cheapest and most stress free way of doing this so late at night and quickly heading to the hotel which is located in an area where we would pass tolls. I have heard the rental charge huge premium to use their toll tags. Is this true or an urban myth?

2. Any advice on which rental company to use. If offsite is cheaper would they shuttle us for free to the off site location or is a rental from an onsite company less hassle with a baby and 2 fairly large suitcases.

Thanks again and look forward to any advice.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

You can't purchase a toll tag for a vehicle not registered to you.

The Dallas area toll roads are all "cashless", with no toll booths, using electronic sensors instead. You never are required to take a toll road in Dallas, and can get almost anywhere using public roads.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
2. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I would prefer to take the Toll road as our hotel is 20mins away via the toll road and because of our baby daughter I would prefer as shot as possible journey times during our 3 week stay. I have also always personally found it easier to drive on toll roads in the US as a tourist from Europe.

Does this mean if I want to use the Toll Tag I will simply have to pay exta for the Toll Tags the car rental companies offer!!!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
3. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

To see a map with Texas toll roads indicated texastribune.org/library/… Go to Dallas/Ft. Worth to see the local toll roads. As Wally said, it isn't necessary to use toll roads to get where you want to go. Where is your hotel located?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
370 reviews
4. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

Many rental companies offer the option to rent/hire a car with a toll card already installed, but you'd need to check with them as to how much they charge for the "convenience" of using it. Someone reported last week that rental companies were charging $12/day just for the convenience, which seems outrageous. I would think you should be able to determine this ahead of time online.

As far as which company to use, you need to shop around using something like kayak.com or a similar service. I've found Alamo, National and Enterprise generally are pretty competitive, and lower than Hertz and Avis, but you should check for yourself, as deals vary from time to time.

Good luck.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

The North Texas Toll Authority has a Zip-Pass account available as a short term method for visitors to pay for tolls while driving in rental vehicles. A Zip-Pass account allows for motorists to avoid added fines, fees and opt-in costs charged by rental car companies and assures tolls are paid on time while driving a rental car in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Customers must call NTTA Customer Service at 972-818-6882 to open a Zip-pass.

All this and more info at the North Texas Tollway Authority website's page on rental car and out of state vehicles: https:/…default.aspx

Edited: 04 August 2013, 05:37
Texas
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

If you let us know where your hotel is located, we'll let you know if this is even necessary. It's probably not, unless you are staying along Hwy 121 in or near Frisco and McKinney area.

Level Contributor
3,505 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

Got here today. All rental cars are off site. You will take a rental car bus one for all "on site"

Rental cars.

We have Hertz

$5.95 for using tolls plus the tolls. I believe it is a rip off but since Dallas does not like tourists no options

We have been on tolls all day not sure how to avoid them where we want to.

One more thing the airport and roads leading out a mess. We got very confused and turned around. Our GPS trying to put us on closed roads

Enjoy your trip

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

As far as I know, the Zip-Pass is a method to pay TollTag fees, not a tag in of itself. From what I gathered from looking at the link is that a tourist can get a special tag, but the have to go to a tag vendor to do so.

I use a TxTag from Austin, which will work in Dallas, so I'm not 100% familiar with the intricacies of the North Texas Tollway Authority.

I agree with Gene T. about Alamo, National and Enterprise.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

I'm not sure of the details either Wally. Perhaps they send something by mail, in which case you would need to call ahead in plenty of time to receive it. I got my toll tag via mail. I think it is worth calling the number and checking into it.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 06:28
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
10. Re: Toll Tag and Car rental advice

"We have been on tolls all day not sure how to avoid them where we want to." Where exactly have you been going, Chitown? When I go to Dallas I never use the toll roads and go where I like. I avoid them because as a Texan I object to our legislators passing the buck, literally, to toll road operators rather impose the proper level of tax to pay for roads. But that's another subject. Using the toll roads is a choice to pay money to save a few minutes drive time.