We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report- overnight adventures in downtown Dallas

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report- overnight adventures in downtown Dallas

On the spur of the moment, we decided to go to Poor David's Pub for the KNON blues event. I Pricelined a hotel, 4*, $60 and got the Hyatt Regency first bid. Bought the blues tickets on-line (pick up at the door). We were in Dallas an hour later.

Check-in at the Hyatt was easy- we chose valet parking because the $10 public lot was full (probably for the Hunt bridge celebration). The desk person was very nice about our request for king bed, high floor- we ended up on the 18th. We were a little concerned since a girl's dance competition was being held and we could hear squealing from the room next door. However, as far as sleeping and noise the next morning, didn't hear a thing. Even the train/rail traffic at Union Station was very muffled.

After a drink in the lobby bar (very prompt and friendly service), we walked over to the DART rail, paid $1.75 for one-way ticket and took the train two stops over to Cedar. We walked over to Poor David's, saw we were too early to get in, back tracked to Southside on Lamar, stopped in at Opening Bell Coffe for some live music and beers. Back to Poor David's and a great 4 hour show with Red Hot and Blue BBQ- yum. Took a cab back to the hotel (DART doesn't run to Cedar station past midnight)- $10, well worth no parking/no driving after drinking.

In the morning, we walked across the street to Cindy's Deli and had the hardest time making up our minds about what to eat. I wanted BOTH breakfast and lunch but settled on lunch. Now I have to go back and have breakfast sometime. Service was a bit slow- it was Sunday morning busy- but pleasant staff made us feel welcome.

That was that- got our bags back from Hyatt guest services, valet was fairly prompt (lots of folks leaving, very little bottle neck), easy to get out and on our way.

(Here's my quick plug for riding DART despite recent tragic events- we did not feel unsafe. Yes, there are a few unusual people on the trains and sometimes at the stations. We didn't feel uncomfortable or threatened. And not just because my 6', 200 pound DH was with me. Most folks riding trains are like you and me- just trying to get home from work or going out to a bar/restaurant/venue.)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report- overnight adventures in downtown Dallas

poodleone, great report! You've motivated me to go over to Poor David's. We haven't been there since they moved from lower Greenville. It sounds like a great time. I knew it was happening, but the first weekend of March is always reserved for the North Texas Irish Festival and I was there all weekend. Had a blast; it just gets better and better every year.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report- overnight adventures in downtown Dallas

I always think of you when I read about the Irish Festival- it sounds like so much fun. There were also lots of people around for the Hill bridge activities. Good thing the weather held up for all of us, huh?

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report- overnight adventures in downtown Dallas

Nice review, poodle. We really need to get back to Poor David's soon. We haven't been there in a long time.

Poodle, if you really like music you need to get up to our festival in Denton this weekend; www.35denton.com

It draws several bands on their way to the Austin SXSW festival.

Check out my friends, Bob and Ken's, lounge www.hickorystreetlounge.com

4. Re: Trip report- overnight adventures in downtown Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:46