We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

Longview, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

We will be in Dallas for the State Fair on Saturday, October 15. We will go to the fair on Saturday and then spend the night and return home sometime on Sunday. We will be coming in from the east on I-20. I know there are not many places actually near Fair Park, but can someone suggest an area to check out? We would like to keep it under $100 and want some place that has a fridge in the room. Our group will consist of 3 or 4 adults aged 55-65, so we are not intersted in amenities that will appeal to kids. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

There are some hotels along I-30 just east of Fair Park. At Jim Miller there's a La Quinta. At St Francis there are a Holiday Inn Express and a Super 8.

From here, you should drive south of I-30 (along Jim Miller) to Military Parkway to get to the fair; it will merge into Haskell. At Crosstown (which turns into Fitzhugh), turn left and then you'll find the parking lots to your right.

Longview, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

Thanks, Pepper, both for the hotel suggestions and for the directions for getting to the fair. I will check out those hotels. I am pretty sure that one of them will work.

Wylie, Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

Hi

Just to be clear I-30 runs east and west. I like the state fair -- it is a great place but i would stay in Mesquite -- you will pass a holiday inn and a Hampton [ I think ] on I- 635 right by the Mesquite rodeo. I think this is a better part of town than off of I-30

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

There is also a LaQuinta and a Best Western on I-75/Central at Haskell/Fitzhugh areas that are both nice, lower cost hotels.

Driving: The easiest way to get to the fair is to take Lemmon south/east to Haskell and Haskell takes you right to the edge of the Fairgrounds. There will be pay parking lots right off Haskell, and then you turn right and there are parking options around the fair.

Another option would be taking DART to the fairgrounds. Here's the link to DART and the Fair. Note that CityPlace is probably the closest station to these motels, but there is no parking at the station. You might want to drive to a station that has parking (Mockingbird has lots of parking) and take the train from there. Or if you're walkers, you could walk to CityPlace (about a mile).

www.fairpark.org/index.php…

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

The City of Dallas is urging people to use DART. From what I understand, "official" Fair parking is limited and parking off-grounds is not police patroled. Plus it's just less of a hassle to ride the train.

The Green Line is the train to the Fair. There are multiple stations along I-35 (north) with parking. If you take the Orange, Blue or Red Line, you will need to make a downtown transfer to the Green Line. http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

You'll need a Local Day Pass at $4.00. There are machines at the departing station.

Longview, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

Thanks for all of the advice. I will talk to the others that I am traveling with and figure out what will please everyone. I haven't used DART before, so I will look into that. My husband prefers to drive everywhere in spite of parking hassles, but I will lobby for trying DART.

7. Re: Hotel ideas in the State Fair area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 20:47