We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

northern PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

We are planning a trip to Dallas in a few weeks. I see the new Legoland Discovery Center is opening today and was looking for first impressions. Thanks!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

I saw this:

pegasusnews.com/news/…

It looks like a glorified playplace.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

We have been with our two boys (5 and 7). They loved the place, especially the big playground. We went two days in a row and they probably spent 90% of their time on the playground. Before you go, I would call to ask what the height limit is for the playground. Our first day there, they didn't have a height limit. The 2nd day, the limit was 48" and they were turning a lot of kids away. As a parent, I would have been very upset because that information was not listed anywhere ahead of time. These kids were not 15 year olds, they were probably 8 ish. This playground was obviously designed for older kids (probably 5-12). I guess enough parents complained and by the time we left, they had change the height limit to maybe 53 or 54 inches. Overall, I think Legoland Discovery Center is overpriced for what they offer, but if you are in the Dallas area and you have to Lego obsessed boys like mine - it is worth the trip.

As for actually playing with Legos, I was a little underwhelmed. They didn't offer that much as far as free play goes. There is one area where kids can thier own race car and race them down one of the 3 or 4 ramps. In another area, you can build structures (think Duplo size) and then press a button that shakes your structure. There are two 'rides' available as well. When we went, only one ride was working. I can't remember the name of it, but our famiily had fun. With this ride you are basically shooting at targets - kind of like a laser gun. My husband and I probably enjoyed the 4-d movies the most. There are 3 different movies that you can watch. One has a medieval theme - it was really fun. The other two movies are Clutch Powers and Bob the Builder. Just be sure to put your camera away before the movie starts - there are a few times where you are sprayed (lightly) with water.

As we expected, there was a Legoland miniland with many neat Ft. Worth/Dallas area attractions.

There is a cute looking area for toddlers and young children to play. We didn't go in, but they also have a Lego area geared for girls.

Of course there is the Legoland store attached. The prices were about what you would find other places and there is a pretty good selection.

Overall, my boys had a great time and that was the goal. This summer they are also opening an aquarium right next to Legoland in the mall (owned by the same company). We are looking forward to seeing that!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

Childless adults are not allowed per the policy "The LEGOLAND Discovery Center is a children’s attraction and adults will not be admitted to the LEGOLAND Discovery Center unless they are visiting with a child/children."

legolanddiscoverycenter.com/dallasfw/en/plan…

Adult lego lovers - be warned.

Dallas, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

We just left there and will not be returning. So disappointed! I purposely went on a weekday morning, thinking most kids would be in school. Unfortunately, there were multiple kids there on school field trips and they were out of control. Too little supervision and they booked way too many groups. It was overwhelming and completely packed. My little 4 year old didn't know what to do. Also, while there were a few employees that went out of their way to be nice and friendly, they were overshadowed by a few bad apples. The girl that was manning one of the rides was actually yelling at the kids, and even shut down the ride while we were waiting for it because she claimed they weren't following the rules. We will not be returning there. Way too much money for a disappointing morning.

northern PA
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

Thanks to all. After reading and seeing prices, we opted to visit just the store and not enter the Discovery Zone. The store also not as impressive as we'd hoped. Thankfully, other parts of our trip were fabulous.

Austin, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

We are planning to take kids for Spring Break. How long does it take to cover the whole center, the rides and movies etc.? Would one afternoon be enough or do you need the whole day?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

It only takes a couple of hours, if that, to do everything....depends on how long your kids stay in the play/jungle gym thing. I was surprised how small Discovery Center actually is and how much they charge for it.

Galveston Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

The age of your children will determine the length of time you will want to stay. Older kids (10+) will get through and bored pretty quickly. When I was there, there was an aquarium scheduled to be opened across the mall. It is another admission fee, but it is something else to do while in Grapevine and at the mall.

Batesville, Arkansas
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

My daughter LOVES Legos so when we went to Dallas to visit family we thought this would be great for her. Not so much, it is entirely to expensive especially for parents to watch kids play in a glorified playground. When we got there the 4d cinema wasn't working and they had no idea when it would be fixed. Although she did the rides and said she liked it, I was still very disappointed in the whole experience. The factory tour was a joke, we couldnt even understand the guy and he went through the process so fast my daughter didnt even get the idea. The first ride was probably my favorite part, the one where you getto shoot at the things. I wasnt aware that to get in the playground you had to have socks, but we convinently sell them for $1 in the gift shop, so she wore my dads socks that were huge but served the purpose. The one good thing I can say is after talking to the manager about the 4d movie being closed he offered us $5 off our next visit to which I explained that we lived 7 hours away and would not return even if we visited Dallas again. He was very understanding and let us in the sea life aquarium for FREE. The aquarrium was awesome and all of us including our 15 month old enjoyed it the best! I highly recommend the aquarium!!!!!

Lego land itself would be much better if the adult price was greatly reduced or maybe sold tickets if you wanted to ride the rides with your kids. Kinda wish we had just suffered in the heat and went to six flags.

10. Re: Legoland Discovery - anybody been there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 03:11