We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report-October 9-16

Natchitoches...
Level Contributor
368 posts
55 reviews
Trip Report-October 9-16

This is a very late post; I originally posted in the GSMNP forum, but decided that the Townsend forum might be a good location for it as well since much of our time was spent in the Townsend area. Perhaps some readers who wander onto this board for information about "The Peaceful Side" will find some ideas and information that will be helpful as they plan their vacations.

First, Townsend is always my preferred destination in the Smokies. I visit twice a year. In the Summer, with my family (3 generations, 15 people), we always rent a cabin in Wears Valley. In the Fall, my boyfriend and I always stay in Townsend at Riverstone Lodge. It's the closest hotel you'll find to Cades Cove and the entrance to the park. I'm a big supporter of the small, mom and pop businesses in the smaller communities that depend on the visitors to the national park, so you'll find that we seldom eat at chain restaurants or stay in chain hotels when we visit.

Here's my blog with all the details and some pictures from our October trip. It was a rainy week, but we didn't let the rain keep us from enjoying every day that we were there.

https:/…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,658 posts
1,800 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report-October 9-16

Great post, and thanks for uploading it here.

When off-property at Blackberry Farm, we always stop into the various shops in, and around Townsend. I'd rather find what I need there, than drive into Maryville to go to a chain store for anything.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report-October 9-16

I applaud your idea about supporting smaller privately owned motels & restaurants. We liked eating several of our meals at the "Front Porch restaurant." The few times we stayed in Townsend we did the same thing. The only "chain store" we used was the I.G.A. We really liked that little mall.

Ray

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report-October 9-16

B.T.W. I read your blog, and enjoyed reading your story and especially the photography. I DO hope you find lodging on a suitable road.

Ray

Summerville, South...
7 posts
4. Re: Trip Report-October 9-16

Thanks for sharing your experience and gorgeous photos! It looks like we were there on our honeymoon during the same time last October! We were able to extend our trip once the shutdown was lifted on our last planned day in the area! We are planning to ring in the new year in Townsend, looking forward to it!

Hanover...
Level Contributor
174 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report-October 9-16

Thanks for all the great info in your trip report. Lots of hiking and restaurant information that will be useful to us as we plan our Spring 2015 trip.

6. Re: Trip Report-October 9-16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2015, 11:47