We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

....just got back from the "quiet side"

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
....just got back from the "quiet side"

Just returned from a week of much needed r&r in Townsend, Tn. This is our sixth visit to the area and it never loses its appeal to us. We stayed in a great little cabin at Dogwood in Trillium Cove, read a few books, took a few walks, sat by the Little River and de-stressed. Townsend is at the gateway to the NP, Cades Cove about 30 minutes away. Having visited the Smoky Mountain Heritage Center before, we decided to go to the Eastern Tennessee Museum in Knoxville which was a nice take. We did not realize Knoxville was so close which makes this area as a retirement community for us more appealing. We are already planning our next trip to Townsend....can't stay away!

Danville
Level Contributor
24 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

I am so glad you had an enjoyable, restful trip to Townsend. We were there 3 years ago and I think it is the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. I can't wait until we get to go back later this summer!

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

Townsend is my favorite place to stay while in the Smokies.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

Retiring in Townsend is a great idea.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

Big decision......family is in the Northeast but we have been coming to Townsend for quite a few years now and we always feel we are coming home!

Dallas, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

Twice now when I thought I had found an acceptable cabin rental on Trip Advixor for Townsend, it turned out the cabin was booked for the dates I wanted even though the Trip Advisor entry for the cabin showed it was available. This is frustrating to say the least and is time consuming as you wait for the owner to tell you that after all the cabin is rented despite Trip Advisor's calendar to the contrary. To Trip Advisor's administrators: can this be fixed? I am disinclined to use your website for bookings until it is!

Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

Suggest you try directly with one of the larger rental companies in the area - Dogwood Cabins (Parkside Realty) and Bearl'y Rustic are two. Both have solid reputations.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
143 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

We book directly with dogwoodcabins.com and never had a problem.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

We've stayed in Townsend three different occasions, and all three times we dealt directly with the cabin owner, and never had any problems. Plus we've rented cabins in Wears Valley area using both the owner itself, or a reputable cabin rental agency. (cabins 4 you)....also with favorable results.

Although I've never rented from them, I've read an awful lot of "not so flattering" reports from customers who have stayed with them. Aunt Buggs cabin rentals has had more than it's share of bad press from T/A posters. I firmly believe if you come to the regular posters in T/A with questions or opinions, they won't steer you wrong.

Ray

9. Re: ....just got back from the "quiet side"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 09:55