We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

michigan
Level Contributor
395 posts
94 reviews
First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

We hope to stop for two nights (about 1.5 days) on our way to visit family in early Dec. We know we want to see a Grand Ole Opry show one of the nights and know it will be at the Ryman, we also know we want to visit Hermitage. Beyond that not sure what we should do with our limited time. Will be staying at either the Hampton Inn Downtown or the Hilton Downtown (on points) so close to the Broadway action I think? Suggestions on not to miss restaurants in the area, bars with good food, bars with live music etc.... Thanks for advice!

5 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

The honky tonks are the world-famous bars with lots of neon and live bands. They run along Broadway from 2nd or 5th Ave. No cover charge. Bring some small bills to tip the bands. Those will keep your evenings busy. They start at 10-11am and go until 2 or 3am.

Also check out the Country Music Hall of Fame and you may try for a backstage tour of the Ryman in addition to attending the Opry.

You didn't mention your dates, but late December after Christmas gets busy. We have a Titans and Predators home game, the NCAA football Music City Bowl, and the huge New Year's Eve parties at Bicentennial Mall State Park and along Broadway.

For specific restaurants, can you give us an idea of per person budget (excl. alcohol) and any particular types of food you like or hate?

michigan
Level Contributor
395 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

We are going either the first or second week of Dec. Restaurant cost not an issue but not looking to dress up and be fancy so good local food in an interesting setting would be what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
280 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

I've stayed at the Hampton Downtown on a staycation. Your basic Hampton--nothing exciting but very nice. We walked all over the place with no issues. If you stay out very late, you won't see many people for the last block or two on your walk back to the hotel--a slightly unsettling feeling.

The Hilton is one block off Broadway, bordered by the Symphony Hall, Bridgestone Arena and the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum. Very convenient to everything but slightly removed from the blaring music of Broadway. All things being equal, I'd opt for the Hilton.

michigan
Level Contributor
395 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

Good to know, thank you!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
114 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: First timers, very short visit, need help with plans

Hilton would be my choice as far as hotel is concerned. It’s right on the beaten path yet not too much noise in rooms. Hampton is nice too but a little more off the beaten path.

If you are a Johnny Cash fan, I would highly recommend his museum. And there is a restaurant called House Of Cards below the museum that is getting rave reviews. Great food and live magic acts. However, they do have a dress code. Jackets required and pricey.

My favorite restaurant downtown is The Southern. Great food here, too, and a little pricey. Reservations probably needed at both of these places.

There are bars galore. Just pick one that suits your fancy and the ones with roof top bars are all the rage. But you might want to at least step into the infamous Tootsies.

Have fun!

Reply to: First timers, very short visit, need help with plans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted