We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bunch of general questions about Nashville

Boston...
Level Contributor
57 posts
117 reviews
Bunch of general questions about Nashville

Thank you in advance. I know there's a top question section over there ----->

But I have several general questions and thought maybe a Nashville resident and/or expert could answer them faster than I could search for them :)

How is Nashville in early (like first/second week) October, weather? crowds? prices?

Recommend a good clean (safe) hotel close too or in the downtown area? (I don't have a budget in mind). Would like at minimum breakfast to be included.

At what time is last call? IS there last call?

We are certainly excited about the bars and restaurants in the area. Can anyone tell me which places - food wise - to avoid at all costs?

What types of things can we do in terms of visiting parks, taking river-boat rides perhaps? viewing any natural scenery?

Is the Grand Ole Opry worth the trip from Downtown Nashville?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Bunch of general questions about Nashville

You'll find lots of great information in the Top Questions section you found on the right. It would be well worth your time to read through them.

Weather advice has to be given with the caveat that almost anything could happen during your specific travel dates so check the 7-day forecast before you leave home and adjust your packing accordingly. Generally, October is the finest month of the year. It's our 2nd driest month and the day and night temps are fabulous. But that doesn't always hold true. October 2017 was one of the wettest on record and this fall is predicted to be a continuation of our hotter than average summer.

Nashville is a 365 day/year town with visitors all the time. Crowds will be down from their June-August peaks, but it won't be dead. early October is also the time for many school fall breaks so there may be a bit of an uptick in crowd sizes.

For hotels, look at the first entry in the FAQ on the right and recent reviews of specific hotels on the main TA site. TA's main hotel search site has the ability to narrow by amenities, and I think breakfast is one of the options.

The honky tonks close at 3am.

Bad restaurants don't last downtown. The competition is too fierce. Anything in the downtown area is likely to be at least edible and generally acceptable at its relative price point. Give us some more information on cuisine, budget, and group size and maybe we can narrow it down.

You can do all of those outdoor things listed. We have parks, river boat rides, and natural scenery. We'll need more information to narrow it down. Will you have a car? How far are you willing to go? What activities do you like to do?

The Opry is ALWAYS a good idea.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
317 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Bunch of general questions about Nashville

You'll find free live music at more than 20 places downtown. If you'd like to go to a ticketed event in addition to the Opry, check out these websites: nowplayingnashville.com

and http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visitors/events

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Bunch of general questions about Nashville

Nashville in Oct- COLD

Safe hotel near downtown- West End area hotels

Last call- 2am ish

bars /restaurants to avoid : I don't like Demo's downtown lol

Visit Centennial park, river boar rides in opry, downtown franklin

Is the Grand Ole Opry worth the trip from Downtown Nashville? YES!!!

Thanks in advance!

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: Bunch of general questions about Nashville

Nashville is not cold in October, especially for the OP who hails from Boston. We'll likely be a few degrees warmer than Boston.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
274 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Bunch of general questions about Nashville

There's one thing about the weather in Nashville. If you don't like it, just wait 48 hours. Considering that our TV market can pay 7-figures to top meteorologists, you'd be surprised at how often these top pros cannot accurately predict our weather. So, take our advice and plan for a couple of scenarios.

1. October is usually our driest month with the lowest humidity. Mornings start off cool, and afternoons warm up quickly.

2. Occasionally, the remnants of a Gulf hurricane deposit leftovers on top of the city. There have been some historic floods in October, and creeks have been known to come well out of their banks. It used to be that our worst modern day flood occurred from the after-effects of Hurricane Frederick, but then May 1-2, 2010, came and people began thinking about building arks.

3. Early October is too early for freezing weather, but it can be quite chilly. Of course quite chilly for us, might be more like May for you in Boston. The second week of October could see low temperatures in the upper 30's, but usually low temperatures will be in the 40's to low 50's. High temperatures vary by large margins--as low as the upper 40's and as high as the low 80's.

In your favor, this part of October is almost void of allergens. Unless heavy rains bring some mold issues, you won't have to stop in Walgreen's for Claratin. It only feels like we have as many Walgreen's as we have churches, but there are only about 30 Walgreen's, and there are 30 churches within walking distance of my house (I walk 5 miles a day).

Reply to: Bunch of general questions about Nashville
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nashville