We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming hole/to do 1/2 day

California
Level Contributor
502 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming hole/to do 1/2 day

We are looking at finding a fun swim spot. We don’t have a car so will be Ubering there and then back. Currently looking at Franklin. Thoughts? We thought oldies can shop/walk Main Street, while young adults can rent tubes and go down river for a swim. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
4 replies to this topic
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming hole/to do 1/2 day

Check with this company: http://paddledogadventures.com/

It's the only outfitter I know that specializes in the Harpeth River and is based in Franklin. Keep in mind that it is a small river compared to the Cumberland.

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
California
Level Contributor
502 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming hole/to do 1/2 day

Thank you. I keep reading about the river water quality being very bad on Cumberland and other rivers. Any truth to this ? (Referring to swimming in them not boarding )

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming hole/to do 1/2 day

The Cumberland used to be nicknamed the Scumberland by locals, but the city and Corps of Engineers has done a good job of cleaning it up over the past decade. I still wouldn't consider it a swimming river though. It has too much commercial shipping traffic on it. It carries a large number of heavy barges through Nashville every day. I'd do the kayak tours though. The guides are experienced in avoiding the big barges.

The Harpeth is a somewhat-protected scenic river. It varies from a few inches deep to a few feet to the occasional swimming hole of maybe 6-10 feet deep. That can change with heavy rains when it gets going way too fast for swimming. As hot and dry as we have been this summer, you're more likely to find it wading depth in a lot of places.

Both are brown as most rivers in the south are dues to a large amount of dirt and other sediments in the water.

Paddle Dog is located on Westhaven Lake, which is really just a big retention pond for the upscale Westhaven planned community development. It would be fun for a few hours of swimming and paddleboarding. Their river canoe trips start at the Westhaven Lake boathouse. They'll shuttle you to the river and bring you back. this is Westhaven "Lake". The Paddle Dog boathouse is the small buiilding just right of center with the bright white roof: https://goo.gl/maps/9CVpcPJR3oL2

Edited: 08 August 2018, 02:26
Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
California
Level Contributor
502 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming hole/to do 1/2 day

Thank you! Just info needed!!!