We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All the bars being named after singers

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
All the bars being named after singers

Hi, Anyone else think its making it a little lame that so many bars are being named after signers? To me it seems to be taking away some of the fun of checking out all the random bars and they all seem to have the same look and feel now.

8 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All the bars being named after singers

The new ones are all being named after singers because those singers own them (or at least partially own them). Someone finally figured out that slapping a big star's name on the place makes more people show up. As we say around here, "Who'd have thunk it?"

Yes, in my opinion Broadway is becoming a manufactured semi-adult theme-park. The days of owner-operated bars helping up and coming acts get recognized are likely coming to a close. Some still exist like Robert's Western World, Layla's, Second Fiddle, and The Stage. Even old standards like Tootsie's have become corporate investments with owners more interested in separating tourists from their money than being an authentic honky tonk bar.

Mentioned in this post
Robert's Western World
Robert's Western World
781 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All the bars being named after singers

AJ's Goodtime Bar (Alan Jackson's place) has a more authentic honky-tonk feel than the other places with names on them. Many of the "named" places have put an emphasis on the food offerings, which is good in its own way, but kind of detracts from the true honky-tonk experience. Again, AJ's is an exception as you'll do good to get anything more than popcorn and frozen pizza to eat. (I believe any bar in Tennessee has to have a food menu, so you can order some sort of food at any honky-tonk).

Mentioned in this post
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All the bars being named after singers

+ to monkeylizard including the honky tonks she namechecked. Another survivor amid the celebrity-driven venues is Bobby's Idle Hour on 16th Avenue S. (aka Music Square East). It's the only honky tonk on Music Row and has been in business for at least 30 years. http://bobbysidlehour.com/

Mentioned in this post
Music Row
Music Row
426 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All the bars being named after singers

ah-hem.....I'm a he.

:)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All the bars being named after singers

A HE?? You've been catfishing me all these years!!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
246 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All the bars being named after singers

Apologies, monkeylizard. Don't know where I went wrong.

Now going to sit in the corner.

Clarkston, Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All the bars being named after singers

Bobby's Idle Hour has been sold & will be torn down in the next few months.

I was there last week to have a cold one & they informed me this was going to happen.

So Sad...

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All the bars being named after singers

RE: Bobby's - The fight hasn't been finished yet. While the property has been sold, the development plans have not been approved and the friends and neighbors are fighting the development.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 00:27
Reply to: All the bars being named after singers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted