We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer taking all advise!

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
1st timer taking all advise!

Instead of asking a million separate questions...please tell me any advise/suggestions or good to knows about Nashville. We are staying at Home 2 Suites by Hilton for 3 nights early September. I would like to make the most of our time. Food, honkey tonks, shows, tours, museums, anything that you would put at the top of your list. I appreciate any feedback and look forward to looking up your ideas. Thank you

12 replies to this topic
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
264 reviews
1. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

Make sure you bring plenty of dollar bills. They pass the buckets around in the bars where live music is playing. That's how the entertainers get paid. There is so much live music in Nashville. My favorite place is The Stage. I'll be in Nashville this coming week for 5 days. There are golf carts that you can ride for short distance trips. Just tip the driver what you feel like giving. Have fun.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

$1’s, got it!!! Thank you very much! I’ll look up the place.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

A roll of $1s and $5s is good advice.

I'd add that you should read through the "Top Questions" list on the right side of this page. It covers many of the most common questions and is full of great information that we DEs have categorized as best we can for ease of use.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

When we travel somewhere we know we're going to be doling out a lot of small tips, we order a strap (100 bills) of $2 bills from our bank. The $2 notes are unique, so the recipient is almost always enamored when they receive them and it's just a little bit more to show that we appreciate what the provider has done.

BTW, the bands are not only playing for tips, they do get paid by the establishments where they're playing, but as in the case of most workers who rely on tips, they rely on the tips to make it worthwhile.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

My husband and I love Nashville and have been there so many times, but in these last few years it gets sooo busy on the weekends, we prefer weekdays if we go. I've never done museums or tours, but, as for live music my suggestion since there are so many bars on Broadway and 2nd that have awesome bands, is to keep walking until you find a band that sounds good (you can hear them from the sidewalk) and go in! "one and done" if you don't care for them or stay if you do! I cant recommend too much in the way of food, because we usually bar hop and eat as we go, but for some fast, unhealthy delicious food I recommend Roberts Western World - Stimulus package: hot dog, chips and a MHL for $6! Or corn dogs, chicken fingers, etc at Paradise Park. But if you want a more sit down and relax place, the rooftop of Rockbottom Brewery is good and overlooks Broadway. Have fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

Paradise Park is no longer...it closed down about a month ago.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

Noooo! That was my favorite place, I'm so bummed.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

SunnyK2, I'm a third-generation Nashville and have built a personal blog that covers all the honky tonks on Broadway, transportation options, navigating Nashville, how to eat hot chicken without hurting yourself, museums, outdoor activities, free live music and other Nash-centric info. It may help answer some of your questions: notesonnashville.com

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

I'll check it out, Thank you!

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
444 posts
73 reviews
10. Re: 1st timer taking all advise!

My husband and I have been going to Nashville for a few years now, even though we are not big country music fans lol. Lots of local bars around Music Row, but our favorite place to listen to music is Bourbon Street Blues & Boogie Bar, in Printers Alley. Always a good band. However, any bar on Broadway is good for a few songs and beers!

Reply to: 1st timer taking all advise!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted