We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak Dinner

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
Steak Dinner

My husband is a steak and potato guy. We are coming to Nashville to celebrate his 45th birthday! What’s your favorite place to get a good steak? He usually orders a Medium Ribeye around home. I would rather not spend more than $35 a plate, any suggestions are welcome! Thank you.

11 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Steak Dinner

Kayne Prime is the best steakhouse in Nashville but you are likely to go well over $35 a plate there. In fact, most of the top places will be $35 and up.

I've had a good steak in that range at The Southern before, which isn't a traditional steakhouse per say but does all around top notch food.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
97 reviews
2. Re: Steak Dinner

+1 to the steaks at The Southern

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Steak Dinner

Another few suggestions on the outskirts of downtown - J Alexanders Redlands Grill on West End, and Bricktops also on West End. Neither are anywhere close Kayne Prime in terms of quality or ambiance, but they have great steaks at better prices. I've never had a bad steak at either. Kayne Prime would be #1, but if it's too pricey, you have some good secondary suggestions with those and The Southern.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 20:16
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Steak Dinner

Bricktops is a great recommendation!

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Steak Dinner

There are many great "Steak Houses" in the downtown area, but none will come in under your budget threshold of $35. If you're willing to bump it to $50, you'll at least get in the door of several, but will have to refrain from cocktails and beer and stick to soft drinks or water. The aforementioned 'great steaks not in a steak house setting', are very good choices.

Among the Steak Houses:

Some of these will be in the $50 range, others will exceed:

Kayne Prime

Oak (Westin)

Bob's (Omni)

Palm (Hilton)

Morton's

A bit out of the downtown core, there are:

Ruth's Chris (Loew's)

Jimmy Kelly's

Fleming's

Many of these are "chains", but the focus in on local tastes and don't feel so much like a chain as mid-level restaurants typically do.

Still further out:

Old Hickory Steak House (Gaylord)

Some better steaks that are really good, but don't have the star power of the ones above (any of these would fit your prescribed budget):

Hermitage Steak House (a personal favorite)

Woody's (a bit dated, but still very good)

Cherokee (nice scenic view of the Old Hickory Lake between Mt Juliet and Lebanon)

I've excluded Jeff Ruby's, which would be well over your budget and is shunned by many of the locals due to an horrendous health score earlier this year.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 00:31
Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Steak Dinner

Kanye Prime seems to be popular with you all. I’m might have to get off my wallet! Thank you all for the reply’s.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Steak Dinner

Ok...I just looked at the menu, NO way can I spend that much to make a steak disappear! I’ll look into the other suggestions also! Thank you all for your help!

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
97 reviews
8. Re: Steak Dinner

I've never had a good steak at Morton's or The Palm and don't know many who have.

Stoney River on West End might be one to consider.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Steak Dinner

Yes, I forgot Stoney River, it would be in the same general area as Ruth's Chris, Flemings and Jimmy Kelly's. I've never eaten there, but have been a courtesy driver awhile back for many folks who have and they all raved about it.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: Steak Dinner

The menu looks good too! Thanks.

Reply to: Steak Dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted