We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would YOUR itinerary be???

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
What would YOUR itinerary be???

Hello, I recently booked a trip for my husband and myself along with my sister and her husband to celebrate my husbands 45th birthday! Early September trip staying at Home2 Suites by Hilton Vanderbilt. Just wanting to hear your opinions on your favorite things to do, see, eat, hear, and wear around Nashville! We will be in town from Thursday night to Sunday morning. Can't wait to read what you all enjoy. Thanks for sharing:)

18 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

Here's the big question: do you want an itinerary I would do as a tourist or as a local? Because they are extremely different. My itinerary as someone who lived there would probably not include a single one of the biggest tourist attractions :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

P.S. I do not ask to be snarky, but because some individuals ask for recommendations as a visitor and some want recommendations to "do as locals do" - just trying to gauge which you might be!

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

We like to do a little of both!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

Well, if my wife and I were spending our perfect day in Nashville, we would wake up and drive over to Radnor Lake to walk the dogs. From there we would drop the pups off and grab breakfast at Fido on 21st Ave. From there we would head back south on I-65 and go to downtown Franklin. My wife would shop while I went to the Carter House for the umpteenth time. From there we would drive down old Hwy 96 to Murfreesboro to meet up with family and grab dinner at the Slick Pig.

If we were playing tourist, we would head downtown to the Farmer's Market in the morning and grab something fresh to enjoy just across the street at Bicentennial Mall. We would then walk it off by going up the south steps of the State Capitol property and stroll around the building (go inside if it were a weekday and the building was open). From there we would grab a proper lunch at J. Gumbo's just outside of the Arcade off 4th Ave and then head down to Broadway. Pop in and out of a few shops and grab a little bite. We would tour the Ryman and probably the Johnny Cash Museum, saving the Country Music Hall of Fame for another day. After this, we would head over to the Gulch to grab dinner at Sambuca and then finish our night at Whiskey Kitchen and the bars along Division St.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

The Carter House is something we would enjoy, and The Fido menu looks great! The hotel does allow dogs so that’s something to think about also! Johnny Cash Museum is a must too! I’ll look into some more of your ideas when I get a minute. Thank you for your input.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

We played "hometown tourist" a few weeks ago on a Saturday in late June.

We parked at the Library Garage ($10 for the day) and then caught the Old Town Hop-On / Hop-Off Trolley at The Ryman (Stop #3, I think). We rode it for two loops, changing to a different trolley at Stop #1 to get a different driver's perspective. The first driver was about pointing out all of the food places along the route, the second was more about the historical aspect of the city. After getting off the trolley, we toured the Johnny Cash Museum, which was really well done.

Some of the things noted on the loop that we considered, but didn't do because it was a Saturday and the trolleys were pretty full, so we were concerned about getting back on after we were ready:

Farmers Market and Bicentennial Mall

Marathon Village for a tour of Nelson's Greenbrier Distillery, American Archaeology and the Marathon Motors Display

Centennial Park to visit The Parthenon

Belmont Mansion

Music Row to visit Bobby's Idle Hour

The Gulch to visit some of the shops

Frist Art Museum

We've visited several of these in the past and would do them again with enough time.

We had a hamburger and tots at Paradise Park after we got off the trolley, they had already announced their impending closure and we didn't know if we'd get there again before they closed for good. It's was a great location and one of our few "go-to" places to grab a bite before a show at The Ryman, a game at Bridgestone or a performance at The Schermerhorn. I'm sure something will step in to replace this option for us, but don't know for sure what. Our other go-to's are Jack's BBQ and Rock Bottom, with occasional nods to Cafe Lula, Puckett's or Demos'.

The CMHoF is a must for at least one visit if you have any interest at all in Country Music. A walk through the Music City Center to see the exhibits for the Nashville Songwriter's Hall of Fame and Walk of Fame Park are worth the time as well and are both free things to do.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

Wow! I love your itinerary. That sounds like a great stay. I will be doing some of this for sure. Thank you for your reply:)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
258 posts
116 reviews
8. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

I’m just thinking for myself, why bother taking hop on/hop off for $80 with my husband when I can just take Uber or the free bus? Researching in advance and knowing what I want to do saves me money.

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
293 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

I’m with you...That’s why I’m trying to figure out what/where I want to go! So I can research, then make a map so I make the most of my time! Hopefully most will be on foot or using the hotels free shuttle for the start. I’m getting more excited with everyone’s reply’s!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,566 posts
120 reviews
10. Re: What would YOUR itinerary be???

The Music City Circuit is the free bus, I believe, Patrick mentioned in his post. The MCC routes can be viewed at: http://www.nashvillemta.org/news/pub172.pdf

Reply to: What would YOUR itinerary be???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted