We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Chains

Bendigo, Australia
2 posts
Snow Chains

Our family has booked two weeks at Mount Hotham mid September but we were recently informed you can't use K Summit snow chains at Hotham, is this true? The problem is I cannot fit standard chains on my car so I will have to cancel and re-book at Fall Creek (where we normally ski) if this is the case. Can someone please advise

3 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Snow Chains

I’ve been recently looking at doing a trip along the GAR during the first week of October which is the week before the snow season officially ends. Only diamond pattern snow chains can be fitted to vehicles travelling on the GAR which includes Mt Hotham and must be carried in the vehicle even if they aren’t used.

Bendigo, Australia
2 posts
2. Re: Snow Chains

I have been doing some research regarding K Summit "spider chains" and it seems Mount Hotham is the only place in the world that bans this type of chain, seems pretty arrogant to me. I don't think we will bother with Hotham, I suspect this arrogance is probably a reflection of the way this resort is managed. Back to good old Falls Creek for us.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Snow Chains

The problem I have is that if I can’t find a business that allows one way hire of the chains I need that is hire the equipment in either Bright or Haritatville and drop off in a town on the Gippsland side of the GAR such as Omeo. i’ll need to postpone the trip along the GAR until the summer or Autumn breaks when they aren’t needed and spend the time elsewhere.

I might start a separate thread on this to see what info I can find.

All the best.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 11:05
Reply to: Snow Chains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mount Hotham