We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe area of memphis

Sheboygan
Level Contributor
295 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
safe area of memphis

What is the safest area of memphis other than downtown? Is germantown okay?

Memphis, TN
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: safe area of memphis

Germantown is a small, quiet, friendly "upperclass" suburb just east of Memphis; the crime rate is very low

Memphis
Level Contributor
673 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe area of memphis

Germantown is a very nice upper-end suburb. Just to the east is just as safe Collierville. I grew up there and am working on moving back there now. this is the suburb of choice for Memphians. East Memphis defines a broad area, but there are some very safe and nice areas in East Memphis. Just to the west of I-240 between Poplar and Walnut Grove are some of the nicest homes in Memphis. very safe area.

If you are looking for a place to stay in a hotel I would suggest Collierville (40 minutes east of downtown), Wolfchase Mall, also known as Cordova (30 minutes east of downtown), Southaven/Horn Lake, Miss., two suburbs just south of the border (10 minutes south of Graceland and 20 minutes from downtown).

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe area of memphis

...Germantown is very safe.

NJ
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe area of memphis

We will also be looking to stay in the vincinity of Memphis 8/19 pm, and want to try to do Graceland 8/20 and Mud Island. Are the recommendations on safer areas for a hotel still recommended? We may look in Cordova as we'll be coming from a trip that is already in progress from Pigeon Forge. Thanks for any help. Simple Sleep Inn/Comfort Inn type that is clean, no smokey odors or bugs. Thanks for any POSITIVE input that can help us out. This forum has helped us tremendously in the past and we appreicate the time and effort folks spend in helping fellow travelers! :)

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe area of memphis

I live in Collierville and have never felt "unsafe." My kids play in the street, we ride our bikes as often as I have the energy in this heat, and shopping, especially in the square is friendly and pleasant.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe area of memphis

It really just depends. Germantown and Cordova are fine, but so far away from downtown that it would difficult for a 'tourist' to get around. Although staying downtown might be more pricey, it may be worth being able to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. In the suburbs, you will definitely not be able to walk anywhere.

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe area of memphis

megjay;

Some people advise different things...simply go to the crime stats for Shelby County, TN, or the State and search by zip code....but en masse, Memphis is one of the most dangerous cities in the United States according to the experts....but heck, you could get hit my a bus in Sheboygan, WI, too...right?....I you could get "jacked-up" even in a nice little place like Madison, a fine little college town...right??....come'on down !

ENJOY!

NJ
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safe area of memphis

I live near NYC, so that said I would not want to stay in the city and park over night, but outskirts are fine in certain areas. I would still visit the city, just as we hope to do in Memphis. If folks have any specific recommendations of our simple Sleep Inn/Comfort Inn type hotel arrangement for a family of 4, maybe with secure or somewhat secure parking would be great! If Cordova area is too far from Memphis, are there any other suggestions where to look? What about the Medical District, or South or East or even North Memphis? Any of these areas possibly recommended?

Thanks again for everything. We appreciate your time and great attitudes! PS TO St. John bound....yes, I'm a lover of that island too!

NJ
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safe area of memphis

I live near NYC, so that said I would not want to stay in the city and park over night, but outskirts are fine in certain areas. I would still visit the city, just as we hope to do in Memphis. If folks have any specific recommendations of our simple Sleep Inn/Comfort Inn type hotel arrangement for a family of 4, maybe with secure or somewhat secure parking would be great! If Cordova area is too far from Memphis, are there any other suggestions where to look? What about the Medical District, or South or East or even North Memphis? Any of these areas possibly recommended?

Thanks again for everything. We appreciate your time and great attitudes! PS TO St. John bound....yes, I'm a lover of that island too!

Memphis
Level Contributor
673 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safe area of memphis

It depends on how early/late you will be arriving in town and what you want to do. I know from your other post you want to see Graceland.

If you arriving late and will not be going to downtown or don't care to go downtown then stay in Cordova. It is on your way into Memphis on I-40, is safe and is the suburban area with all the typical chain shopping and restaurants. It's a 30 minute drive to downtown and around the same to Graceland.

If you want to be able to go out and experience Memphis at night, my opinion midtown and downtown, then you wil want to stay closer in or be willing to drive back to your hotel. In downtown there is a Comfort Inn. It backs up to the trolley line where you can ride a few blocks down to Beale Street area. If you find something in medical district that would be fine too. It's just a few minutes from the core of downtown.

as far as secure parking you will get that in downtown as long as you park in a garage that is associated with the given hotel. That's my opinion. I wouldn't use a hotel that uses surface lots though, at least if away from beale street.

Get answers to your questions about Memphis