We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

Hello: My daughter and I plan to visit Dublin and London in late June 2013. We want to purchase airfare into Dublin, spend a few days enjoying the city before we move on to London to visit family. How easy or difficult is it to travel by train to London from Dublin? How long is the trip? At the end of our London visit, we will return to Dublin, spend another day prior to flying home. Any suggestion? I would also appreciate getting an estimate of the returned trip, and any recommendation on reasonably priced hotels in the city close to sightseeing, museum and shopping. I am 62; daughter is 31, both of us active to enjoy the culture of Dublin for a few days.

I will read all recommendations, and then make a decision. Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

You can't go Dublin to London by train (there is that little issue of the Celtic sea between "us" and "them" !!!)

However, you can take a bus from Dublin to London - there are a number of carriers. The bus journey includes a trip on a ferry from Dublin port to Holyhead (Wales) and I'm guessing will take about 13 hours. Google 'bus travel from Dublin to London' Eurolines is one of the carriers that I am aware of.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=250

In the meantime enjoy the Dubliners, who will explain to you in song, why train travel between us and the UK is currently not an option!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws0Yq_YsATU

Edited: 09 April 2013, 12:45
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

yes you can go by train. There is a rail and sail ticket which includes your ferry and train ticket, I've not done it because we drive our own van across but I know it is possible. The train trip along the North Wales coast is awesome, it is right along the beachside.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

I love the North Wales Coastal Drive - its fabulous.

The train station in Holyhead is just beside the port. Very easy to see. Its on the right as you are leaving.

Using a car it takes about 6 hours to get from Holyhead to London. And you have a sea journey of somewhere between 2.5 - 3.5 hours as well. So it will take you the most part of a day to do the journey. But its worth it for the North Wales section alone.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

Dublin to London,

Dublin Connolly 12.30 Dart to Dun Laoghaire 12.53

Dun Laoghare 13.30 Stena Explorer to Holyhead 15.40

Lunch in Smiths Café

Holyhead 16.50 train to Chester 18.25

Chester 18.55 train to Crewe 19,20

Crew 19.30 train to Dublin Euston 21.10

8 hours 40 minutes

stenaline.ie/ferry/rail-and-sail/holyhead/

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

The SailRail ticket for the itinerary suggested above can be purchased at the ticket counter in Dublin Connolly station. Best to buy a few days ahead as it's €6 dearer if purchased on the day of travel.

The DART electric train runs frequently from Dublin Connolly to Dun Laoghaire and takes around 20 minutes. After passing through part of the city the train runs along the coast the rest of the way to Dun Laoghaire - you'll see the Howth Peninsula on the far side of the bay. The SailRail ticket can be issued as "Dublin Connolly to London Euston via Dun Laoghaire". The SailRail ticket is a paper coupon booklet so at the ticket gate in Connolly and Dun Laoghaire just show it to the member of staff on duty and they'll wave you through.

If possible I'd suggest heading out to Dun Laoghaire on an earlier DART and taking a walk on the East Pier - just a short walk from the railway station. Very popular and pleasant. The town centre is also pleasant with an array of shops and places to eat. It is also just a short walk from the railway station. By the way the railway station is just across the road from the ferry terminal.

For train times for the return trip:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

You can buy SailRail tickets from Dublin to anywhere in Britain with travel via Irish Ferries online in advance at www.irishferries.com/ie/SailRail.asp

Dublin to London costs €46, you collect tickets at Dublin port from the Irish Ferries desk.

This one ticket covers the superferry to Holyhead and a comfortable civilised 125mph train to London Euston.

I recommend the 08:05 sailing from Dublin port, this is the huge and luxurious cruise ferry Ulysses. It connects with a train getting you to central London at 16:38. An extra €18 gets you access to the Martello lounge above the ships bridge with complimentary tea, coffee, red and white wine and smoked salmon canapés.

It's a lovely scenic run, first the sea voyage from Ireland to Wales, the the train ride along the North Wales coast past beaches and Conway Castle, then past Chester city walls, the archetypal British railway junction of Crewe, along the Grand Union Canal through Northamptonshire and Buckinghamshire to London .

You can book one way or return tickets starting in Dublin this way.

For the record, one way or return tickets starting in London or at ANY British station can be bought at www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk with ticket collection out of the self service machines at most main stations.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 00:36
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

Thank you. Your suggestion is helpful to my planning.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

hanks very much! I may go directly into England, then work out how to visit your lovely country. I have the time...4 weeks vacation.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London

Thank you! lots of great suggestion that is helping me plan a great vacation.

Reply to: Returned Train trip from Dublin to London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naas
Recent Conversations
More Naas Topics