We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go and best route

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
where to go and best route

“ traveling in May 2013 ”

Jan 21, 2013, 6:49 PM

We are planning an 11 day trip through Ireland. 4 of us are driving. After Kilkenny we want to head to Giant's Causeway. Any suggestions of towns we should see or stay in? We have 4 days before returning to a 2 day stay in Dublin.

6 replies to this topic
Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go and best route

What are the interests & age range of the group? Difficult to answer without more information.

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go and best route

Hi. We are retired and interested in museums, history, culture, food and nature. No shopping malls or tourist traps.

Thank you,

Di from NewJersey USA

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go and best route

How about Carlingford Co Louth - nice place to break your journey as you head North to the Causeway. Medieval / Heritage village and some beautiful scenery and restaurants.

Also I would recommend the coast road rather than the motorway to Belfast as the scenery is breathtaking on the North East Coast of Ireland and you will go through lots of lovely little villages and can also take a ferry for part of the trip. Strangford to Portaferry.

http://www.carlingford.ie/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go and best route

Re my post above I omitted another wonderful place you should visit on your way to Carlingford / Belfast. Newgrange which is a must on the East coast of Ireland. it is a stoneage passage older than Stonehenge and there is also an interpretative centre there.

Not to be missed

http://www.newgrange.com/

Keyport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
23 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go and best route

Thank you for the info. Your suggestions will go into my trip folder and will share with our friends. Great input!

Di

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
434 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go and best route

Also on your route to Northern Ireland, north of Drogheda town, Monasterboice is an ancient monastic site that may be of interest to your group.

Close to Belfast, near Hollywood in County Down, the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum would merit some of your time as well on your northward journey.

Reply to: where to go and best route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naas
Recent Conversations
More Naas Topics