We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prairie dogs in march?

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
prairie dogs in march?

Hi, we will be passing through Sioux Falls in March. Is there anywhere nearby to see prairie dogs? Are they active in March?

4 replies to this topic
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
532 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: prairie dogs in march?

Your post made me curious about how far their habitat extended so here is a link to a map I found: http://www.deltatech.com/rv/praredog.html

I do not know where you can see any near Sioux Falls or even if they are "awake" at that time of year...

Edited: 16 January 2016, 19:46
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
2. Re: prairie dogs in march?

Unless they have them at the Great Plains Zoo in Sioux Falls, this would not be an area to see prairie dogs. The land surrounding Sioux Falls is made up of corn and soybean fields. The Bramble Park Zoo (Watertown) has an outdoor exhibit simulating their natural environment, but it's 100 miles north of Sioux Falls.

I was at the Great Plains Zoo a couple of years ago, but I cannot recall specifically seeing prairie dogs. I'd just call the zoo and ask and they should also be able to answer your hibernation question. Of course, if there's two feet of snow on the ground, you might not be able to see them either way.

Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: prairie dogs in march?

How far west of Sioux Falls will you be passing through? The SD Game Fish & Parks website has good info regarding prairie dog colonies in the state. If you know what to look for they are often visible from the roadside, but on private land.

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
4. Re: prairie dogs in march?

We went out to the Badlands a couple of weeks ago and the prairie dogs were very active, especially at the park entrance just south of Wall. There was also a big sign warning people that the prairie dogs carry the plague so be careful.

rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/plague-sprea…

Edited: 22 February 2016, 22:02
Reply to: prairie dogs in march?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sioux Falls