We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park for kids

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
62 posts
116 reviews
Park for kids

I am planning on stopping for a picnic lunch on our way from Iowa to Wyoming. I have been to Falls Park and know it is nice. However, I don't remember any playground equipment there and would like my kids to be able to run off a little energy. Could you suggest a nice park for a picnic AND play?

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
1. Re: Park for kids

Falls Park would have been my number one...so many rocks to climb around on (most safe). It is such a beautiful fantastic park we went for the first time a couple weeks ago and I was quite impressed.

maybe Beadle Park:

siouxfalls.org/contactus/parks/public-parks/…

Bryant: siouxfalls.org/contactus/…bryant.aspx

Campus: siouxfalls.org/contactus/…campus.aspx

so far these cover your wish list, here's the comprehensive look with pictures and descriptions to choose the most ideal one for your family:

siouxfalls.org/en/…public-parks

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Park for kids

Elmwood, Emerson and Frank Olson look nice as well. Hayward looks nice too. Too many parks to look at them all but it's an impress list of parks for Sioux Falls.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
62 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: Park for kids

Thanks so much! I really loved Falls Park,but I visited probably a decade ago. If the kids can climb around on some rocks, it will work out great! Thanks for more ideas, I will share with my older kids tonight and see where we land. Appreciate your help!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
4. Re: Park for kids

Personally, I'd be very nervous about my kids climbing on the rocks at Falls Park, falling into the deep, swirling water and drowning. An adult and teen drowned there last year trying to save a child they thought had fallen in (the child was actually just hidden in some foam caused by the water). Sertoma Park has by far and away the nicest set of playground equipment and the largest shelter house- if you're willing to drive to the south side of town- which is out of your way.

Pioneer Park has a nice little splash pad/spray park with equipment nearby. Probably appropriate for ages 8 and under. It's on the north side of town, so it would be convenient for you.

McKennan Park is downtown and is absolutely beautiful: It's surrounded by gorgeous historic homes if you like architecture. It has formal gardens, really nice tennis courts, a really nice wading pool and playground area. It also has nice shade from mature trees.

Edited: 23 July 2015, 06:05
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
5. Re: Park for kids

Forgot to mention Terrace Park: It has Japanese Formal Gardens, pool, playground, shelter house and newer bathrooms. From I-90, exit on I-29. Take the Madison St. exit. Go east on Madison. Madison will end at Terrace Park.

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Park for kids

I'm not suggesting they go by the Falls there are plenty of safe rocks in the picnic area not near the Falls and a huge flat safe area in the quiet area near but not directly next to the Falls. Look online of the pictures there are plenty safe areas if you are watching your kids that they are not in danger of hurting themselves. I'm just suggesting the rocks are just as entertaining if not more than playground equipment (probably why Falls Park doesn't have any as the natural attraction is enough) and the majority are safely navigable and out of harms way.

Edited: 24 July 2015, 08:45
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
7. Re: Park for kids

<<Look online of the pictures>>

I am there all the time. I guess I'm not comfortable with my kids doing a lot of rock climbing. The rocks aren't supposed to be a playground. Especially to the OP, a broken ankle on vacation sounds doesn't sound like something I'd want to have happen on vacation.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
8. Re: Park for kids

Should also add that some parents lack common sense and allow their kids to get way too close to the water. I see this all the time.

WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: Park for kids

I'm saying nature is the playground with all safety and common sense on board. They can just as easily get hurt on play equipment if not supervised, taught correctly, etc. When ours were littles they hold your hand and that's that and you explore together and it's not an issue, you go where it's safe to go as parents and not where it's not safe to go. They run safe in the areas that are safe while parentally supervised. :-)

Edited: 25 July 2015, 02:04
WI
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
117 reviews
10. Re: Park for kids

"Should also add that some parents lack common sense and allow their kids to get way too close to the water. I see this all the time."

Yes that's definitely concerning many parents aren't watching their kids and it becomes a safety hazard indeed.

Be cautious and have fun :-)

Edited: 25 July 2015, 02:07
Get answers to your questions about Sioux Falls