We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wave Height?

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Wave Height?

Can anyone tell me how the waves are on Pawley Island? My family usually goes to Hilton Head, but we are looking for somewhere a little closer to PA. We enjoy the small waves/low surf at Hilton Head because we have small children.

3 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
156 reviews
51 helpful votes
1. Re: Wave Height?

I don't think the waves will be much different. That whole area is not known for big waves unless there is a storm.

Even though Pawleys Island and HH are about 3 hours apart, the driving distance from PA is only just over one hour difference. (but granted..one hour less) Maybe look at something even further north...in NC maybe. Waves will be the same there too. Emerald Isle area...or Outer Banks even.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
156 reviews
145 helpful votes
2. Re: Wave Height?

Agreed. On the average, I don't think you'll see much difference between HHI and PI, or anywhere else along the SC Grand Strand. Of course, surf can change daily based on wind and weather conditions. I'm not a NC beach expert by any means, but my experience on the Outer Banks is that surf conditions are usually considerably stronger than what we normally experience here.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
99 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Wave Height?

So, if you like the small waves at HH then you are looking for comparable, yes?

You are looking for new locations with calm waters?

I've not been to HH but I would guess, since it's not far away, that the beaches at Tybee and Hunting Island are similar- almost waveless at times, like a lake almost, with no breakers at all when it is calm.

Of course, even extremely calm beaches become wild when storms are passing out to sea.

Pawleys is not 'calm' like a lake, there are actual small waves that roll in even when there are no storms, but they are not as large as the OBX, I would say that the waves on Pawleys are a nice compromise between completely calm and wild and big waves.

Keep in mind that even on calmer beaches, like on St. Simons, there are still issues with riptides, and people still lose their lives. https://thebrunswicknews.com/breaking/two-di…

Reply to: Wave Height?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island
Recent Conversations