We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to litchfield beach

4 posts
2 reviews
Driving to litchfield beach

driving from KY. has anyone driven the I26,I526, hwy17 route?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

I-526?? That's down in Charleston, SC. Way out of the way. (unless you are going to Charleston)

4 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

just tryin to avoid all the lefts and rights and such

4 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

additionally, I lose ATT cell connection when traveling the goole and mapquest recommended route, not to mention the google driving directions. Yes, i have paper as a backup.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

From where exactly in Kentucky?

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

"I-526?? That's down in Charleston, SC. Way out of the way. (unless you are going to Charleston)"

YES, unless you have good reason to be in Charleston, avoid it- so much traffic!

If you want to avoid lots of turns, this route (through lots of farmland east of I-95) is a fairly straight shot.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZZXtAa9VdcM2

I am the queen of the road less traveled, so if you like interstates with lots of traffic more than quiet 2 lane roads through farmland, you might not like this route.

I believe all these roads do have double yellow lines down the middle. :)

I wouldn't send you down a cow path.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
150 reviews
6. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

Yes, we've done the I26/526/Hwy 17 route on several occasions, but I'm not a fan. The increase in traffic on I-26 over the past several years has grown exponentially, and gets worse the closer you get to Charleston. The risk for significant traffic delays is just too high, considering there's no real benefit to this route.

We make a trip between Spartanburg and Pawleys Island every 3-4 months. Our preferred route is I-26 to Orangeburg, Hwy 301 to Santee, I-95 to Manning, Hwy 521 to Georgetown, then Hwy 17 to Pawleys. It's one of the gray route options on JT's map. We've driven the other routes numerous times and have no big objections to them. They just aren't our preference.

Easley, South...
Level Contributor
869 posts
1 review
7. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

Hey PD, I guess the I-95/301 interchange is completed, right? That's a favorite route to Georgetown for us.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
150 reviews
8. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

It's complete and nicely done. It's easy to get confused the first time you drive the new interchange. Hwy 301 no longer terminates into I-95. Hwy 301 continues straight, and there's a conventional right-turn cloverleaf exit onto I-95 North.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

I-26 and 526 are extremely heavily traveled by tractor trailer trucks ~ due to the port being in Charleston. They are either loaded at the port and leaving town or headed to the port to drop off goods and load up again. Unless you enjoy very heavy truck traffic, I would avoid it. Add to that heavy traffic, construction and almost daily backups due to accidents.

4 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Driving to litchfield beach

make any difference if traveling on Saturday eve ?

Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island
Recent Conversations