We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Does anyone know if the pop-up canopies allowed on Myrtle Beach? I purchased one specifically last year to take to the beach with me this year. We normally go to Florida beaches and they are allowed there. We are not familiar with Myrtle Beach rules/regulations. Thanks for any help!

Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

MB has an ordinace that all umbrellas, canopies, etc, must be behind the Life Guard stand. (Not directly, but linear.) This is quite annoying but I do believe you can have to canopy you just can't obstruct the view of the Life Guards.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Thanks for the info!

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Be sure to have anchors as it seems to be more windy here than I remember it being in Florida

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought about that.

Northville, Michigan
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

We are planning to take a canopy to MB this year instead of renting umbrellas when we get there. Any suggestions on what type to buy? We were looking at one at Home Depot just tonight. Is there anything specific we should look for when purchasing? I think this one was E-Z Up for $199. What kind of anchors are best?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Can not suggest any brand...but just be sure you know how to set it up. Usually needs two people to do it. I watched a couple trying...for at least one hour...to set up a canopy. They finally gave up.

Yes....make sure it is anchored well.

Northville, Michigan
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

Funny -that's exactly what I am worried about! Will practice in our back yard once we purchase one! Still there must be some easier than others. Will continue investigating.

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

This past trip, just returned home yesterday, we purchased an umbrella that has fold-up flaps that can be lowered to make it into a cabana or half dome tent, to make a good wind screen. Worked well as both. The only problem was that the stakes that come with it are not big enough. Had to dig down into the sand about 6 inches then use the stakes. That was the only way they could get enough purchase to hold in a good breeze. There are a couple of different sizes in stock at Dick's Sporting Goods and at Costco.

Huntersville, North...
Destination Expert
for Huntersville
Level Contributor
574 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

I have used the cheap canopies and they will NOT hold up to the wind on the beach. I have used an EZ-UP (The $199 one) for the last 2 years and have had no problems. Its easy to set up but you will need 2 people. My wife and her sister set ours up every morning when they walk. Be sure you get the one that has braces from the middle on the side rails into the center and not just from the corners up to the top center.

As far as anchors, we just use the 12" landscape nails that came with the tent. We keep a rubber mallet in the bag and they drive right into the sand. I did see a group last year using plastic grocery bags filled with wet sand to anchor theirs.

One other thing I do which is a bit tedious is every evening I wash out all the folding joints and the legs. On the last night I spend about an hour washing out all the joints, legs and canopy. If I spend $200 on something I want it to last.

Edited: 02 May 2010, 17:16
Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canopy on Myrtle Beach

>>> "I have used an EZ-UP (The $199 one) for the last 2 years and have had no problems"

Assuming you all are referring to: http://www.ezup.com/index.html

Which specific models are best for windy Myrtle Beach ?

Thanks