We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachwalker question

Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Beachwalker question

Good Sunday morning to all,

Are there any rentals on Beachwalker that are close to the lifegarded area? We’re trying to plan an extended family vacation for next summer and I’m trying to find a home suitable for 12. Ideally, a short walk over the dunes would be preferable as my parents will be with us and Dad has some knee issues that restrict him a bit. My son, husband and I usually split our time between the Andell Inn and the historic district, so that is the extent of my lodging knowledge.

Also, when we were at Beachwalker in July, we noticed some contstruction and I was curious if that might be an option for next year. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,341 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Beachwalker question

The closest Kiawah rentals to Beachwalker Park are Duneside, there are some larger units there.

The construction that is going on in-between Duneside and Beachwalker Park are a joint-ownership venture called the Timbers. The Timbers will not be available for rental unless you purchase a $500,000+ partnership in their program.

Contact one of the rental agencies (The Resort, Pam Harrington, Akers Ellis, etc.) to help you find the appropriate house for your family. There are many houses that will be available on Kiawah that will be oceanfront and will have their own private boardwalk across the dunes. Many will have their own pool, as well.

Can I ask why you want to be nearest to the most crowded part of the beach, there are so many better options? Most folks want to be away from the congestion.

There is major construction going on, on the west end of the island, The Resort is building a new golf club house, a new boutique hotel and conference center. All this construction greatly impacts the livability of that end of the island.

Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Beachwalker question

Thank you, KiawahBeth! Well, we want to be at Beachwalker because of the lifeguards. We’ll have quite a few kids, as well as elderly parents, and I just feel safer with lifeguards on site. I think you had told me before that there is a beach patrol that drives by on the beaches on the island, but I worry about something happening when the lifeguard isn’t in the vicinity. Your thoughts or opinions on this would be welcome. Thank you!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,341 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Beachwalker question

There is only 1 lifeguard station at Beachwalker Park, so I wouldn't exactly call that a warm and fuzzy, considering the number of people that go there.

Note that you will have a distance to walk to get to where the lifeguard is, I'm pretty sure that it's going to be farther than your elderfolks will want to walk, even from Duneside.

There are lots of kids on our beaches all summer long. My husband is on the Public Safety Committee and gets the monthly reports of what happens on the beach. The need for "rescue" is few and far between.

Unless you've got kids who don't listen at all, I think you are overthinking the whole thing. The adults in a group are usually responsible for their own kiddies out here.

Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Beachwalker question

Thank you. All true. It’s more a case of me worrying as the kids’ behavior isn’t an issue. They all have a healthy respect for the ocean. I guess the sight of the lifeguard has always been a comfort to me. In all our beachgoing years, the biggest issue we’ve had is jellyfish stings, thank God. Somehow the lifeguard being there has warded off anything more. :-) I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I start looking into properties. Until then. Have a good night!

Reply to: Beachwalker question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island