We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

2 mature adults with one cavalier spaniel (13#'s) looking for accommodations in the Hilton Head area....we are thinking this area will allow us time to take day trips to Savannah, Charleston, etc....7 to 10 day stay in early/mid October. Any help regarding lodging, food/sites not to be missed, etc. will be greatly appreciated. (TripAdvisor community was FABULOUS in helping us with our Cape Cod visit....it was superb, thanks to all of you!)

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

As a community, HHI is exceptionally pet friendly, many restaurants allow you to bring your dog to dinner (outside seating), you can take your dog to the beach and several villas and hotels are also pet friendly. I know, for instance, that the Sonesta in Shipyard allows dogs. If you rent a villa for the week (which I recommend as that time of year you can get some very good deals), you can either check with an online site like VRBO and Homeaway.com or you can use one of several island property companies, like Vacation Company, Island Get Away, etc. You would obviously need to tell them you need a pet friendly accommodation and you should be able to find one (although having said this, some villas are deciding no pets for renters, so the list is beginning to dwindle somewhat).

Regarding day trips, easy one to Savannah, longer (2 hours) to Charleston. Beaufort (1 hour) is also worth a day trip. And don't forget Old Towne Bluffton (just of island) where there are many cute shops, galleries and restaurants.

Too many great restaurants to list here and all who post will give you different favorites- it all depends upon what type of dining you want. Check the dining website for more ideas. www.hhidining.com

Joanne

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
2. Re: Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

if you don't care about a view and just want a cheap place to crash, the Red Roof Inn is pet friendly is located mid-island so its easy to get to stuff.

No pet fee either so thats a plus, and its clean and everything like that, just no frills.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

Joanne,

Thanks for the info! (I just received my Explorers Guide from Amazon for the areas we plan on visiting - the guide we used for the Cape Cod trip was the BEST, but the feedback on food, festivals, shopping, etc...was most informative by the TripAdvisor community - we had some fabulous seafood at some real dives, and really nice places too!) We had planned on using our RCI exchange, but no RCI in the HHI area is pet friendly.

I'm happy that you mentioned most HHI areas are pet friendly, eating b'fast/lunch outside or doing a little shopping, with our gurl on a leash, was the atmosphere we were looking for. We can crate her for a while to eat a nice dinner out (she's not a yippy dog & well behaved), but are hesitant to leave her at a doggy day care for several days in a row.

Day trips to Beaufort, Bluffton, and Savannah are on the list, but it looks as though (in my reading) that an overnight stay in Charleston might be advantageous. (Maybe a carriage ride tour with the pup? Lunch in one of the parks?)

If you think of anything else I'd appreciate it.... Looks like we'll be looking for a 1 bdr. villa/condo maybe in the Harbortown area?

Thanks so much!

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

I've had great experiences renting through owners via VRBO and Homeaway in the past. You can get very specific with your search on both sites, especially if you search by neighborhood on VRBO. If you're interested in Harbour Town, you need to look at the Sea Pines listings.

We stayed in this villa in Sea Pines last year when on the island for my 20th HHHS reunion: http://www.vrbo.com/363953 The owners were wonderful to work with, the location was great, and the villa was very nice. Our dog, Max, enjoyed the trip, too.

October's a great time to be on the island. If we didn't have a school-aged child, we'd be there every October. Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: Pet friendly Hilton Head SC accom.??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 10:50
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head