We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palmetto Dunes?

Hauppauge, New York
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Palmetto Dunes?

Is Palmetto Dunes a good location to stay for a few days? Planning on a girls weekend.

8 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,292 reviews
1. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

Yes - Palmetto Dunes is excellent location -- Enjoy

cleveland
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

It’s my favorite location in Hilton Head

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
228 reviews
3. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

Palmetto Dunes is a great spot. Depending on the timing of your trip, short stay options maybe limited so plan ahead.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,292 reviews
4. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

Leslie,

Reserve dining at Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar.

Our experience:

Reviewed May 15, 2018

Romantic Fine Dining

Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar qualifies as Romantic Fine Dining for a date night with your wife.

Note that there are several dining rooms, and if one is unfamiliar with Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar, take the time to visit the venue prior to dining.

Travel Tip: Lagoon view is available; take care to observe the PM sun.

Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar has been very special to my wife and me for forty years.

Tonight, there are lots of Locals and the Semi-Locals (Buckeyes.)

One can count on Executive Chef Sean, and the entire staff of Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar to provide a special evening.

Take care to note IF Chef Sean is preparing a special dish for the evening, and we recommend to enjoy this off menu feature.

We arrive and request a short conference with Executive Chef Sean; This young Chef is special and has a resume to support his position. We ask Chef Sean if He might go off menu and Perform his Magic, Chef Sean smiles and responds: Tilefish. We eschew the regular menus, and have no regard for price. Nearly midway through dinner, Chef Sean appears for an assessment: Perfection achieved.

Whether from Miami or Montauk, almost all tilefish is sold fresh, graded and priced by size. Tilefish from deeper waters dine primarily on crabs, giving them a firmer texture and sweeter flavor than those harvested in shallower waters.

Tilefish is low in fat and has a delicate, sweet flavor similar to lobster or crab. Tilefish is primarily almost always sold fresh. We also enjoyed Tilefish in Palm Beach in January of this year.

Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar is a perennial Low Country Seafood dining experience on Hilton Head.

Caveat: Be on the alert for the many pedestrians and bikers; Hilton Head Island was designed for family and couples’ vacations.

Service: Karina has a Positive Reputation as that Crazy Italian Lady. Karina was born near Venice and has mastered three languages.

Ambience: Pure Hilton Head and “on water.” Really important to make reservations.

Dining: “Magic” by Chef Sean.

Alexander's Restaurant & Wine Bar is a local’s favorite, and we view this as a Travel Recommendation.

Boston
Level Contributor
872 posts
5. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

We stay in the Palmetto Dunes/Shelter Cove area, is our favorite part of the island. If you are only staying for a few days, I would suggest checking out the Omni Hotel in PD, the rooms have kitchenettes.

Not sure what your plan to do on your weekend, plenty golfing, tennis and biking in the resort along with shopping and restaurants in Shelter Cove .

Not sure when you are planning your weekend but enjoy your stay

Hauppauge, New York
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

Thank you all. I am now confident in my decision. We will be renting a big house near the beach. We are not going until the spring but I like to plan early.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

Palmetto Dunes is perfect for a Girls Trip. Just check out South Carolina alcohol purchase laws for Saturday night and Sunday. Much depends on when you arrive. A trip to the Frosty Frog is a must with the BFF's. Enjoy!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
75 reviews
8. Re: Palmetto Dunes?

Best location on the island. Being mid-island you'll find many of the best restaurants are easily accessable. 3 miles of beach. Miles of lagoons and bike paths. 3 golf courses, a couple dozen tennis courts, 8 pickleball courts. Nothing not to like. Many restaurants have early dining menus and happy hours.

Reply to: Palmetto Dunes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted