We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Hello, we are planning a trip to HHI in July with our two children ages, 18 & 19. We have been to HHI before and stayed in Sea Pines when the kids were younger and most recently in Forest Beach at the Seacrest. We really liked the Seacrest and are trying to decide if we stick with what we know or try somewhere new. Does anyone have any suggestions for villa resorts in Palmetto Dunes similar to Seacrest. Also, we have never stayed in Palmetto Dunes. From what I read, I believe it would be a bit less busy than Forest Beach. Is there still enough to do?

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Boston
Level Contributor
872 posts
1. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

We stay in Palmetto Dunes/ Shelter Cove area our children who are now in their 20s have been coming with us since they were in middle school, they have always enjoyed the relaxing pace of PD and even when we asked if they wanted to stay in other parts of the island the answer was always no.

PD is mid island so you are an easy drive to Coligny/ Forest Beach, Sea Pines or where ever you want to go.,. We have always found plenty to do, bike riding on the beach, hanging out at the condo, I go to the beach in PD while others in my family play golf at one of the 3 courses in PD. We also enjoy dolphin tours on Outside Hilton Head in Shelter Cove, they also have stand up paddle boards and kayaking. You can easily bike from PD to Shelter Cove using the underpass across 278 where there is shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. We rent our bikes from Hilton Head Outfitters in PD, they also have kayak rentals, beach chairs etc.

If you enjoy Mexican food, San Miguels in Shelter Cove, I have heard that Steamers is reopening in the old Kingfishers, there is also plenty of night time music in the summer. Our family still enjoys stopping to listen to Shannon Tanner even though everyone is an adult now.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay no matter which area you choose

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Thank you so much for your reply.

What condo complex do you stay at?

Boston
Level Contributor
872 posts
3. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

We have stayed at several, sometimes using family timeshare and others renting via either Island Getaway or Trident Villa Rentals, we started at Marriott Sunset Pointe in Shelter Cove which got us hooked on Shelter Cove Palmetto Dunes, we have also rented at Anchorage and Captains Quarters in Shelter Cove, which is my favorite to stay in when we rent. Last spring we used timeshare at Ocean Cove Club in Palmetto Dunes near the General Store, they also have rental units, this spring we are renting at Captains Cove in Palmetto Dunes which is near Omni Hotel & Captains Walk. Last fall we used timeshare at Harbourside III in Shelter Cove but were evacuated because of the Hurricane and we were only there a couple of days, liked the unit so much we were able to book timeshare again for this fall. Harbourside III also has rental units.

Palmetto Dunes has their own website where you can see the different types of units you can rent although we have never rented from them, some people will suggest VRBO, others rental companies.

I am sure others will give you ideas of complexes they enjoy. That being said we don't rent ocean front my family would rather walk or drive a few minutes to the beach if it means more funds towards things to do, going out to dinner at night etc. Units in Shelter Cove are sometimes less expensive then PD. The Dune Buggy runs between Shelter Cove and PD in the summer months right to the beach so you don't need to worry about parking

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
325 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Staying in Shelter Cove has it's advantages, you can walk to dinner and water sports. Although technically part of Palmetto Dunes it is across 278, so about a mile from the beach. I have a place in PD and usually wind up staying in Harbourside III at least twice a year and love it. All the units are furnished the same and spotless.

Sea Crest is on the beach, if you want to be that close you will want to be in Palmetto Dunes if you stay there. Villamare, Windsor Court and Hampton Place will be similar to Sea Crest. Captains Walk is also ocean front, smaller layout, I think.

That said, Forest Beach and PD are different. Forest Beach is a really easy walk to everything and your kids are at an age where they can just take off. There isn't anywhere to walk to in the evening for kids in PD besides the general store, Shelter Cove they can walk up and down the marina. (Mine are 18, 20, 22) I don't know how important that is. The beaches are better in PD in my opinion, way less crowded, the Dunes House for lunch or drinks, also you can eat at the Disney Beach House. Just past the north end of PD beach is Coco's on the beach (beach bar)

As mentioned already PD is so centrally located nothing is far away and your kids are not young so getting around will be a breeze.

If you go through VRBO, a heads up, they started charging a fee to travelers. If you can contact the owner direct they may be able to book you direct and save you the fee which is usually around 9%. Have a great trip!

ohio
Level Contributor
597 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

The big advantage with staying in the Forest Beach area is being able to walk to restaurants, shopping, grocery, the beach, etc. In Palmetto Dunes you would need to drive or bike to most things. Just depends what your looking for.

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to check out those suggestions. We need to make a decision soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

I am partial to Forest Beach. Palmetto Dunes is overall a step up in quality as far as the rentals, restaurants, etc, but things are not as close and convenient as they are in Forest Beach. Anywhere you stay in Forest Beach you are normally only a few minutes walk from the beach, and there are a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance. There is also a bike path right through Forest Beach so you can also utilize that for transportation. It is not nearly as congested as the area around Palmetto can be. Both are great spots, but if I was choosing I would go with Forest Beach.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

PD is definitely less busy than Forest Beach. For an 18 and 19 year old, I'd imagine they'd just get on a bike and go explore on their own. Isn't that what makes vacationing in HHI fun anyways? Even if you stay at a beachfront resort in PD, there are trails that go throughout the resort and safely across 278 to get to Shelter Cove Harbour & Marina via underpass. As mentioned in earlier replies, once over at the harbour and marina, there's shopping, dining and activities for everyone. In PD they also have the lagoon system where you can go fishing, kayaking or canoeing.

Ohio
Level Contributor
134 posts
9. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Check out Hilton Head Beach Villa's on South Forest Beach. They are 1/2 mile from Coligny so you don't get the crowds on the beach, but close enough to Coligny to walk there. We have stayed there before and really like the location. Most of the units are 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Nice small pool.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
9,348 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Palmetto Dunes vs. Forest Beach

Harbourside III in Shelter Cove is a plus, plus. I suggest you request a unit that overlooks both some of the harbor and entertainment area. After 9:00 pm, all goes quiet.

What a great area! Several good, casual restaurants, beautiful walking path around the harbor and music/entertainment most nights, in season.

The units are kept up, comfortable, with many amenities. There is a pool, hot tub and the priory is gated and parking.

There is the Dune Buggy bus that comes around for the beach, mall and Palmetto Dunes facilities.

This is an excellent area and lovely condos.