We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
10 reviews
Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

30 years ago? I'm recalling a road trip my father (who died in 2013 from lung cancer even though he didnt smoke) and I took the week after my finals and before I graduated college in May 1984 from Lafayette College in Easton PA. We drove a new New Yorker he had purchased for his mother and he aske dme to accompany him driving it down to her in Ft Myers. He had sold her late 70s New Yorker back home in New Jersey so we drove that one back (with my grandmother coming too on the return to visit the rest of the family). Anyways, I fondly recall we stopped off at the same hotel and it had a dining room where we ate breakfast and dinner and I think it looked out on a pool. I did google aerial search of the I-95 exits and I sort of recall the layout of the place and the covered walkways of the Thunderbird are looking quite familiar! Was it a Sheraton or a Ramada 30 years ago does anyone recollect? Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

Anyone? Buehler?

1 post
2. Re: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

Hello, I do not have an answer to your question, only an idea. You should try calling the hotel and speaking with the manager. I bet he either knows or knows how to find out. Good luck, I know how incredibly important memories with late loved ones are to us all.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

I don't think so, unless The Thunderbird is now in a new location than it was 30 years ago. I grew up in Florence and remember it back into the 1970's ~ it was always called The Thunderbird as far as I know. Used to have an enormous neon sign that was the "thunderbird".

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

The Ramada Inn was next door. I travelled the area for years and often stayed at the Ramada. The Thunderbird was known for its buffet serving Southern food.

Edited: 07 August 2015, 04:49
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

Thanks all for your responses. I actually drove down to Florida this year and back and sought this place out. I found out it was the Ramada on Lucas Street. I stayed there for the memories and had a drink or two to my late father and grandmother in my room. It was a former Holiday Inn as one can tell from the design and the sign design. I thought it was a Ramada back in 1984 but a woman I spoke to at the front desk the next morning said it was a Holiday Inn in 1984 so I was mistaken. On my return I spent a night at the Days Inn on Route 20 where I stayed one night on my way to Atlanta in Feb. 1991. It was a Fairfield Inn then and opened as such in April 1989 according to Edith the wonderful front desk lady there who has been at that hotel since opening day and change of brands. Thank you all for your help and I did indeed find that hotel. I do love Florence and I drove around downtown an extra unplanned hour the morning going down and am amazed and excited about the rejuvenation downtown! Good job Florence!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?

By the way I had to visit the iconic Thunderbird so I had dinner there going down!

Reply to: Question @ Florencians - was the Thunderbird Inn a Sheraton?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted