We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we stay in Florence for one night

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
300 reviews
Should we stay in Florence for one night

Visiting SC soon and staying in Charleston, Georgetown and Myrtle beach, but want to stay our last full day and night travelling back to the airport from Myrtle beach and wondered if Florence is worth a visit and a nights stay, we like to wander around the town and visiting bars in the evening and having a meal, if there is live music on that would be a onus.

13 replies to this topic
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

I go through Florence all the time. I can't think of what would be interesting, but endosunshine can probably speak to this subject better than I.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

Nothing really of note to be quite honest. I would honestly stay in Georgetown or perhaps Pawleys Island.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

I grew up in Florence. It's not worth the stop. It's a decent town, full of chain stores and chain restaurants. There is not really anything of a historic nature. The small town of Marion, SC has some beautiful old homes there, not sure it any of them can be toured, there is a small museum there. It would be an interesting day trip. As an alternative, you could drive down to Georgetown, SC, which has a nice historic district.

www.marionsc.org/museum

www.seaportgeorgetown.com

www.scmaritimemuseum.org

www.kaminskihousemuseum.org

www.ricemuseum.org.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
300 reviews
4. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

We are already staying in Georgetown one night and Charleston 3 nights just fancied a different town nearer Columbia airport.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
5. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

Didn't realise you were heading to Columbia. If that's the case though, then consider staying a night in Camden (between Columbia and Florence). A very attractive and historic small town.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

Camden is a great idea. One of South Carolina's earliest inland cities.

http://www.historic-camden.net/

PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

My wife and I have spent the night in Florence, SC a few times on our way to or from Florida from PA.

If you stay in Florence, I would stay away from the Country Inn and Suites. The hotel is dirty, the attitude of the staff is terrible and our room smelled like smoke and mold when we arrived. I got the feeling the people at this hotel like people from the north. Try the Hampton Inn. Much better.

PA
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

Hello.

If you stay in Florence stay away from the Country Inn and Suites. The place is dirty, I was not awarded my Carlson points, the sheets on the bed were yellow, we never received an invoice under our door. I never received a survey from the hotel and they charged me $150 for smoking in the room. Funny thing is I do not smoke. BE VERY CAREFUL. DO NOT STAY AT COUNTRY INN ANS SUITES IN FLORWNCE, SC.

I would go with Marriot or the Hampton Inn. Much nicer people and cleaner hotel

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
125 reviews
9. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

Raybeam, you need to write a review of the property if you haven't already.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
45 reviews
10. Re: Should we stay in Florence for one night

Please note that the OP's question is OVER 6 months old!

Reply to: Should we stay in Florence for one night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted