We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day in Charleston

White Lake, MI
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Christmas Day in Charleston

My husband and I will be arriving in Charleston on 12/23/17 and then driving to Savannah on 12/26/17. Any suggestions for a hotel with a restaurant open on Christmas Day? Any ideas for Christmas related activities?

Best Seller
Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
745 Reviews
from US$ 26.00*
Best Seller
Charleston Harbor History Tour
466 Reviews
from US$ 27.56*
Ghosts of Charleston Tour
95 Reviews
from US$ 25.00*
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Day in Charleston

Regarding things to do ~ pretty much everything will close early on the 24th and almost everything will be closed on the 25th. Museums, historic homes, plantations, etc will be closed on the 25th. Restaurants and Hotel/restaurants that will be open will be in the historic district. If staying in the historic district you will be able to walk pretty much everywhere and can walk around looking at Christmas decorations, etc.

I was not able to find any listings yet of which restaurants will be serving on Christmas. Those often do not come out until about the 1st of November. Hotels with restaurants ~ The Grand Bohemian, The Dewberry, Market Pavilion Hotel, The Wentworth Mansion, Belmond Charleston Place. There may be others, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

www.charlestoncvb.com/events/search.php…

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Christmas Day in Charleston

Most of the restaurants that will be open will have price-fixed menus for the day, plan to make reservations, in advance.

Check out the Festival of Lights at James Island County Park. Get there early (like when they open), drive through twice (it won't be totally dark the first time around), then head off to dinner. Maybank Public House is convenient and good.

I suggest doing it like this because the line to get in to see the lights will back up quickly and be several miles long.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 19:46
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Day in Charleston

Yes, Christmas Day reservations must be made at least a month in advance. Not positive, but it is very unlikely that Maybank Public House will be open on Christmas, so don't plan to go then.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 19:55
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Christmas Day in Charleston

Correct on Maybank Public House.

I just meant the Lights as a Christmas related activity, while you are in town, not necessarily for Christmas Day.

Hope Christmas Day is beautiful and enjoy walking the Historic District.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
992 posts
777 reviews
5. Re: Christmas Day in Charleston

Belmont Charleston Place will have a beautiful Christmas display in the hotel. You can also walk along King Street to see the decorations.

6. Re: Christmas Day in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2018, 10:46