We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

Hello! What should I wear for daytime sightseeing and evening cocktail and business casual dinners in charleston sc city and Boone plantation

7 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

We are still having weather in the mid 80's each day, so take that into consideration. Charleston restaurants are fairly casual, even fine dining restaurants don't require upscale dressing. Business casual is fine. For site seeing, comfortable flat shoes.

What specifically interests you at Boone Hall Plantation? Be aware that no plantations are open past about 5pm. Same with historic home tours.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
622 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

The weather forecast is mid 80's and very humid until next week. Plan to bring two different waredrobes. The highs next week will be mid 70's and cooler at night. Most people wear shorts and comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing right now. Restaurants don't seem to have any issues with people wearing these in for dining.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

Preferably not shorts for dinner.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

I recently dined at Fig and Magnolias and would have felt awfully out of place in shorts. Everyone I saw was dressed business casual.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

Business/resort casual are the best bet for evening in Charleston.

Will comfortably take you most anywhere.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

Shorts are ok during the day for touring but in the evening khaki slacks and a collared shirt will be fine. The plantations are closed in the evenings but Middleton Place has a restaurant that is open in the evenings as well as a party venue for groups. Boone Hall has a party venue for groups that may be rented after hours. If you are going to either pop a flashlight into your pocket because it can be VERY dark on the way to your car or chartered bus.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
622 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18

Yes, I meant at lunch time. Most of the high end even tolerate shorts at lunch. Evenings you will want something more business casual if you go to the higher end places. I also highly recommend the restaurant at Middleton Place for lunch or dinner. We love it. They do seasonal menus with offerings from the plantation.

Reply to: Business/sightseeing trip oct 13-18
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charleston