We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5

New England
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Topic
Top 5

We are coming to Charleston in the 3rd week of October.

A few questions:

1. Is 3 days enough time to see Charleston ?

2. Give me your top 5 sites to see in Charleston area.

3. Give me your top 5 restaurants in Charleston.

4. Give me your top 5 Micro-Breweries in Charleston.

5. Give me your top 5 Hotels in Charleston.

Thanks for any help you can provide

LaBeets

Charleston’s Old South Carriage...
286 reviews
from US$ 26.00*
Charleston Food Tour
39 reviews
from US$ 60.00*
2-Hour Historical Walking Tour of...
87 reviews
from US$ 20.00*
Charleston Food Tour
100 reviews
from US$ 60.00*
4 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,731 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5

1. No, you can get a sampling of Charleston, but not nearly enough time to see and do everything. Plantations, historic sites, museums, galleries, historic homes and buildings, carriage ride, walking tour, Hunley submarine, Ft. Sumter, Ft. Moultrie, etc, etc.

On the rest ~ you will never get a consensus. Everyone is going to have different favorites. My suggestion is to look to the right side of this page (on a computer, won't show up on a phone) for Top Questions about Charleston. Loads of information there, a section called Which Plantation is best, which beach is best, etc. Once you have seen some of the info, then you can ask us questions and we can try to help you narrow things down and decide.

For restaurants ~ my best advice it to read thru other threads on the Charleston Forum that pertain to restaurants. You will find a treasure trove of info there, much more than any of us would come up with in a single post. The places that you see named again and again are the places where we really eat. We only have a few "tourist traps" and you will NEVER see any of us suggest those places.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5

Agree with Endo, please do some reading, then ask questions about what interests you.

As far as hotels, we need to know your nightly budget, in $$$, not 'reasonable'.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,731 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5

There are thousands of hotels in the greater Charleston area. Do you want to stay in the historic district? Ideally the best place to be if there is availability and rates that fit your budget. From the historic district you could easily walk to restaurants, bars, pubs, shopping, historic sites, museums, galleries, etc, etc. Any other area of town and you will need to drive back and forth and pay to park. All plantations are in outlying areas, so no matter where you stay, you would have to drive to them.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5

There are enough of us here "helping" that you'll get so many different answers that you'll be no further ahead than you are now. You say "we" but do not indicate if that's your family including smaller children etc... I have small children so my choices may lead you to places that are more family friendly which would be terrible for you if you're traveling as a couple. We really like to help but you need to do a bit of work on this yourself as Charleston simply has too much to offer. Since I'm a beer guy - I will tell you that Charleston now has more than 20 craft breweries and every one of them has something going on most nights of the week. If I had a free Saturday and wanted to hit 5 breweries I would go to (in this order):

1. Two Blokes (Mt. Pleasant off of Long Point Road) - food trucks on the weekends, live music, a great kid area.

2. Charles Towne Fermantory (West Ashley - Avalon). pop up chefs in their built-in kitchen, amazing beers and lots of activities.

3. Low Tide Brewing (Johns Island on Maybank Hwy). Super laid back, great outdoor sitting area with hammocks and picnic tables. A fire pit for chilly evenings.

4. Revelry (downtown off of Morrison). Great beers, amazing rooftop beer garden if you plan your trip in the later afternoon before sunset. It is very popular and gets crowded on the roof.

5. Palmetto (downtown between Meeting & King on Huger St.). Live music on their loading dock. A little hipstercentric and everyone seems to have a dog but good beer and a great outside courtyard area.

This is the route I take when I have craft beer fans visit. If it's a Sunday then I may throw in Cooper River which normally has great music in the afternoon. If it's a weekday I'd have to stop by Holy City which has great food now served out of their own kitchen. With more than 20 choices, the only one that will always be in my top 5 is Two Blokes. They even have a New England style IPA called Wicked Throat Chahmah.

Good Luck.

Reply to: Top 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Charleston