We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning Kiteboarding in/around Beaufort, Fripp Island?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
24 reviews
Learning Kiteboarding in/around Beaufort, Fripp Island?

We spend our summers on Fripp. Kids are now teens and looking for new adventures. Wondering if there are any kiteboarding/surfing teachers around and where to rent practice kites/buy equipment. Any advice is welcome!

1 post
1. Re: Learning Kiteboarding in/around Beaufort, Fripp Island?

I kiteboard at Fripp Island whenever I'm vacationing there. It can be really good in spring and fall. As far as I know there is really no kiteboarding community or shop in the area. I wouldn't really consider it a beginner spot because conditions vary so widely depending on the surf, wind direction and tides. For example, it can be a great beginner spot in a moderate side-on breeze (S or SW) that pushes you toward the sandbar if you're kiting on the southern end of the island when the tide is low. But if the wind has any off-shore and the tide goes all the way to the rocks, you can get in trouble quickly. Once I was out there and a storm came up suddenly and I barely made it back. If you can find a local instructor and the conditions are right it can be excellent.

2. Re: Learning Kiteboarding in/around Beaufort, Fripp Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2016, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort
Recent Conversations