We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

My husband and I are looking for a quiet place with an ocean view that has ac and wifi. No car so must be close to ocean and restaurants. Late July or early August rental. Any suggestions?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

sounds like your best bet would be a house or condo rental as many of the inns, guest houses, etc don't have AC, some might have fans, and would be even more expensive than a one week rental.

I would check out the following sites;

The Block Island Times classified, block-island.villagesoup.com

vrbo.com

And blockisland.com

Good luck

JDP

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

Thanks -- I will be checking those sites. Also, what is the best way to get to Block Island from NYC (I don't have a car)?

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

If you are willing to pay for it, the Ocean House in Watch Hill RI is spectactular. Gorgeus fully reconstructed grand hotel, right on the beach, with a great restaurant. Walking distance to the village of Watch Hill with shops, attractions and a couple of restaurants. If you let them know ahead, they will pick you up at the Westerly train station. Good Luck!

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

Afraid not. Thanks anyway.

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

Getting to BI without a car -- a bit of a challenge. Based on your profile name, I assume you're in the city. You could take Amtrak to Kingston, RI call for a taxi from there (you might also be able to call ahead and have one waiting for you -- check the station info on the Amtrak site) to get you to the BI Ferry in Point Judith, and the ferry gets you to your destination.

There's also a ferry from Montauk to BI. Can you take the LIRR to Montauk?

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

Hmmmm....I didn't realize that there weren't easier connections. I may have to rethink the whole trip. Thanks for the info.

CT
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

You can take the train to New London (CT) and its just steps away to catch the ferry to BI.

try this link:

newlondonmainstreet.org

Edited: 13 January 2012, 03:52
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

New London is the easiest way as CTMom said. I know you can do LIRR to Montauk and the ferry but I think the issue there is timing, as in when the train arrives and how long you have to wait but I would look into it.

JDP

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
614 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

Oh, I forgot all about New London. That's definitely the best way. The train station and the ferry landing are practically next to each other. Take a look at the Block Island Express site: https://www.goblockisland.com/default.aspx

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a package Amtrak / summer rental deal by the week?

Thank you everybody. I'm starting to think about the New London to Block Island route. That does seem easiest. Now for the hotel/motel on or right near the ocean once we get onto the island from the drop off point of the ferry. Any suggestions?

Edited: 26 March 2012, 23:07