We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

Indore, India
10 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

I wanted to know if it is safe to travel in cab at night after 11 PM from Pittsburgh international airport to Shady-side (Carnegie Mellon Campus)? It is almost 20 miles away from the airport.

Is it worse in the winters?

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

You shouldn't have any problems getting from the airport to CMU via cab. It's all highway until you actually get into Oakland/Shadyside.

Unless you arrive in the midst of a blizzard, you'll be fine. The highway from the airport to the city will be one of the first roads cleared.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

Weather is worse in winter, so road conditions stand a chance of being unsafe, though the route from the airport to CMU is heavily traveled and well cleared.

We don't have the problem of people attacking vehicles traveling at night (or day), if you are concerned about that kind of safety.

I think cab or the Super Shuttle would be safe methods. The 28X airport public bus is safe too, but I'm not sure of the schedule at night and usually if you're considering a cab you wouldn't be interested in that bus.

Indore, India
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

Thanks for the reply.

I was concerned about risk involved in traveling at night. As in cab drivers are trustworthy?

I would take the bus 28X, had it been day time. Since, I have luggage and I will have to change buses in the middle of the night, I'd prefer a cab.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

I live way out in the boonies (read cows for neighbors, not people) and have taken cabs out of the airport to home late at night and never had any problems with the drivers.

Indore, India
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

Thanks Gypsy3n8 !! :)

Edited: 28 December 2010, 23:25
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

I have made the same airport to Shadyside ride late at night many times. I have always felt safe and the cabdrivers are friendly. I travel there for work all the time and I am a female traveling alone. You will be fine.

7. Re: Is it safe to take a Cab from pittsburgh airport at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2011, 10:53