We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Consol Energy Center Hotel/Dining

Cambridge, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Consol Energy Center Hotel/Dining

My hubby and I are traveling to Pittsburgh in August for a concert at Consol Energy Center. Any recommendations for hotels or dining nearby? Looking for 4 star.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Consol Energy Center Hotel/Dining

Anything downtown is close, 4 star are the Renaissance, Westin and Omni.

Check Priceline and/or Hotwire.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Consol Energy Center Hotel/Dining

The Pittsburgh Marriott City Center is across the street from the Consol Energy Center. If you want to stay there and you're attending a major concert or sports event, book early. Next closest are the Doubletree at Sixth Ave. and Bigelow Blvd., about five blocks from Consol, and the Omni William Penn on Grant St., about six blocks. The other downtown hotels, Westin, Courtyard, Hampton Inn (opposite the Heinz History Museum in the Strip District at Smallman and 13th), Fairmont, and Renaissance are 1/2to 3/4 mile away and the Hilton is a mile or so away.

Consol is at the eastern edge of Downtown Pittsburgh. The streets between central downtown and Consol are safe for walking. And there's good bus service.

The Renaissance in a converted office building at Sixth St. (not Sixth Ave.) and Fort Duquesne Blvd. has been the best rated hotel in the city for the past few years. Check out the marble in the lobby, and get a room with a river view. It's restaurant, Braddock's, is quite good--Frenchified regional Pittsburgh specialties.

The Fairmont at Fifth and Market opened recently in a new building, modern and glitzy. I got a tour of the hotel before its opening--the rooms I saw were large and well-furnished. Its very expensive restaurant, Habitat, got a mixed review from the Post-Gazette critic, who knows her stuff.

The William Penn is a big, older hotel that appears to be well-kept up. Omni did a major renovation a few years ago. The lobby is big and ornate. If you can, take a look at the art deco Urban Room on the 17th floor, one of the hotel's ballrooms with gorgeous black glass walls and a painted ceiling mural. I can't tell you how the guest rooms are, though.

There are just two decent restaurants near the Consol Arena. The Marriott has Steelhead Grill (seafood), and there's The Red Ring, Duquesne University's inexpensive restaurant two blocks from Consol in Power Center at Forbes Ave. and Chatham Square--It's not bad for the price.

Some downtown restaurants I like are Seviche (tapas) and Nine on Nine (contemporary American), both on Penn Ave. between 9th St. and 10th St. by the Westin and Courtyard. Sonoma Grill in the Courtyard is very popular for California cuisine, but I haven't eaten there. The block of 6th St. between Penn and Fort Duquesne, near the Renaissance and a half dozen theaters, has a number of restaurants.

In the nearby Strip District, I like Eleven (continental and American) at Smallman and 11th and Kaya (Caribbean) at Smallman and 20th. My favorite italian restaurant is Lidia's (owned by Lidia Bastianich) at Smallman and 15th. Go to Primanti's at 18th and Smallman for their famous sandwiches with cole slaw and fries in the sandwich. (Don't be a wimp and get them on the side. Primanti's has other locations around town, but this is the original, the shrine.) If you're in the Strip in the morning or in the afternoon before 4 p.m., check the food shops like Pennsylvania Macaroni for cheese, Parma Sausage, Prestogeorge for coffee and tea, and Enrico Biscotti, all along Penn Ave. between 17th and 22nd.

Edited: 26 June 2010, 23:56
Cambridge, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Consol Energy Center Hotel/Dining

Thanks so much for all the info...We booked at the Omni and are still unsure about dinner but it sounds like there are lots of options to chose from. Looking forward to the trip!!

4. Re: Consol Energy Center Hotel/Dining

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 10:47