We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

My sister lives in the Allison park area...She doesn't have the room so I need to stay in a hotel when I visit. I have always stayed up in Cranberry ..but was wondering what hotels would be closer? Would it be easy for me to just stay in Pittsburgh?

I need a nice safe area with a clean hotel..

Thanks !!!!

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
330 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

Allison Park is more like a postal address. Do you know what township she lives in? Is she closer to Route(s) 8, 910, or 28? We used to live near the EconoLodge and the Comfort Inn North at the Hampton/Richland line. They always looked like dumps to me.

Cranberry Township is going to offer you the best selection of hotels to choose from. I wouldn't stay near the city of Pittsburgh. Cranberry Township is quite a busy place but is far better than the construction and roads down to Pittsburgh.

If she's off of 910, the Springhill Suites at the Pittsburgh Mills (route 28) is pretty nice. They've been doing quite a bit of construction on 910 though and I don't know if it's open all the way through to 28.

If you're at the northern part of Allison Park (Hampton, Richland area), I would choose Cranberry Township. My husband and I like the Pittsburgh Marriott North there. A business associate recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and said it was one of the worst beds he's ever slept on.

Hope you have a nice visit with your sister.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh Marriott North
585 Reviews
Cranberry Township, PA
Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

Thanks so much for the info..I think she is closer to Route 8...I have always stayed at either the hyatt place or four points sheraton before...we need to have a pool...Both were ALWAYS reasonable..I was shocked at the pricing I was finding!! Hyatt place for 165? The Sheraton for $195? Holy moly...Last year I got the Four points for $89.00 per night!

Now I don't know what to do..that seems awfully expensive for a little hotel(hyatt place). The springhill doesn't seem to be able to accomodate us...ok now maybe I need to look in Pittsburgh?

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Saxonburg...
Level Contributor
330 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

I would call the Pittsburgh Marriott North directly at 1 724 772 3700 to get a price. The Pittsburgh Marriott North is on the 228 side so you would not have to cross over 19 everytime to head towards route 8. If you're staying on the weekend it's usually cheaper as I think it's more expensive during the week for business people. I definitely wouldn't pay $195 for the Sheraton. My daughter's prom was just there, and she said the food was absolutely awful.

I live off of Route 8 North in the Butler area. We go to Pittsburgh once or twice a month and avoid Route 8 as much as possible. To go to Pittsburgh we go to Cranberry to go on 79S. Route 8 is not a good corridor for hotels. There are a few hotels north of Hampton in the Butler area, but they don't get great reviews.

You might want to ask your sister for some ideas.

Mentioned in this post
585 Reviews
Cranberry Township, PA
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,155 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

If price is your only concern, you may want to consider a Priceline bid? I checked on www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com and both the Four Points and Hyatt Place had entries with recent wins for a 3* in Cranberry. Word of caution: You pay upfront and you don't get to choose your hotel (blind bidding), so read the links above. But it's a great way to save money.

I've stayed at the Marriott North and liked it, too. But my pricepoint would probably be <$150.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 20:09
Mentioned in this post
5. Re: where do I stay outside of Pittsburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 12:00