We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

Boston
2 posts
Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

What is the best way to drive from Boston to Pittsburgh?

Thank you in advance,

Adrian

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

Google Maps.

But I would avoid the PA turnpike, I76, at all costs. Pick up 84 and hit I80 and go from there. Run it to 79 South.

Where in Pgh?

Boston
2 posts
2. Re: Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

Thank you. This is very helpful!

In Pittsburgh, my destination is: 107 Hoodridge Drive, Pittsburgh, PA, 15228 (it is in Mt. Lebannon).

Let me know of any additional travel tips.

Adrian

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

Google Maps is a great way to find a route. They also have a feature where you can "avoid major highways".

I think Mt. Lebanon is south of the city, so you'll want to hit 51 to Library Road I think.

The PA Turnpike is a horrendous road - always under construction and never finished.

Pittsburgh, PA...
Level Contributor
262 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

I definitely agree with the suggestion to eliminate the turnpike. However, you can cut quite a bit of time off the trip if you get off Interstate 80 and take the Route 220/Interstate 99/Route 22 corridor from just east of State College all the way to Pittsburgh, then routes 376 and 279 through town. You'll have to do more navigating and watching for road signs, but it will save you about an hour of driving, with the following caveat...

What day of the week and time will you be arriving in Pittsburgh? On weekends, you won't want to travel on I376 through town, because they have been doing complete shutdowns of portions of it for reconstruction. On weekdays, morning and afternoon rush hour will eliminate any time savings of my suggested route, and you would be better to stay on 80 and 79, as Gypsy suggested. So, arriving on weekends or during weekday rush hour, 80 to 79. Otherwise 99/220/22/376/279.

If you bypass the city and are on 79 South, you will be better off skipping 51 and Library Road. Just stay on 79 to Exit 55.

If you go through town, then follow 51 and Library Road as suggested above.

HelenTherese
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

Don't be tempted to skip the Toll bridge north of NYC. We did Boston to Pottsville/Schuylkill Haven 2 years ago and I forgot to uncheck the no tolls option on the directions and we ended up taking 4 hours in NY. We travelled back using toll bridge and arrived in Boston 6 hrs later. It took us 10 hours on the way down

6. Re: Driving from Boston to Pittsburgh - best route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 22:49