We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Breweries

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Best Breweries

Four of us in our mid 20s will be traveling to Pittsburgh in early November for a Steelers and Penguins game and are looking for the best breweries to visit while there. We would like breweries that offer tours, but are also looking for places that just have a lot of good beer to try and games such as pool and darts to play. Thanks for any help.

Kidzville
Game & Entertainment Centres
Throw
The ScareHouse
6 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Best Breweries

Recommendations would be better directed with info on what style(s) of beer you are interested in. No sense recommending Strange Roots if you don’t like Belgium style, Arsenal if you hate cider, or failing to mention Dancing Gnome if you love hazy IPAs.

By tour, do you mean behind the scenes of the brewing process? Because this will limit a lot of places making the best beer.

There are great breweries all around the city. Maybe by tour, you mean a group tour of several breweries like this:

https:/…

https://porter.tours/…

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Best Breweries

We had dinner at the Church Brew Works. It’s a restaurant and brewpub located inside a former church. The brewing vats are set up at the front of the church, where the altar used to be. It was memorable for the architecture.

Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Best Breweries

Way too many smaller craft breweries to recommend. Like an early commenter stated, style or type of beer will vary. You can hit quite a few all within 15min of the city via an Uber etc...

The Northshore has Southern Tier Brewing, which is a short walk across the river from the city via a pedestrian bridge. It’s one of your bigger more commercialized. Not sure they do tours.

Your best hope for a tour would probably be Penn Brewery. It’s only 5min outside the city.

Lastly, we do have “brewery tour bus” companies in PGH. Basically they’re small school buses converted into touring buses by local companies that will drive you from brewery to brewery for a fee. Some of these, will offer mini tours of the breweries you hit with behind the scenes & promotional type gifts from each brewery you stop at.

I’ve been to pretty much every brewery within 30miles of PGH. Picking one is too tough. If I were you, I’d just Google Pittsburgh breweries, check them out on the map, click on each one & read reviews & check out photos etc...

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Best Breweries

Thanks guys, I know my question wasn't very direct. We just like to try different beers, not looking for anything specific. We generally look to do behind the scene tours because at least in our area, most tours also come with samplings which is generally a good way to try lots of different beer. If you have any favorites I'd love to know, otherwise we'll look to just hop into and one we see while wandering through areas. Thanks again.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Best Breweries

Every brewery I know of offers flights which is an easy way to try different ones.

The idea of hopping into breweries while you're wandering around areas is probably not a great one as most of the tourist areas are not where you will find them. Due to the spaces needs for brewing, its not cost effective to have them in a high rent area.

Lawrenceville is an exception, but you should know that the breweries located there are not in the thick of things. Hop Farm, Full Pint (tap room, the actual brewery is elsewhere) and Roundabout are at the far eastern edge of the area. Eleventh Hour (Charlotte St b/t 37th and 38th) and Arsenal Cider (39th near Penn Ave) are off the main drag of Butler Street. The newly opened Cinderland is actually on Butler St. Haven't tried it but its getting good reviews.

There are several more across the river from Lawrenceville in Millvale and Sharpsburg, but you would never end up there as a tourist unless you were looking for them. Dancing Gnome is getting lots of accolades from beer geeks. Hitchhiker, Strange Roots and Grist House are also good spots.

One area that is often visited by tourists (and for good reason!) is the Strip District, where you will find a tap room (again, not the actual brewery) for East End, which is probably the oldest craft brewer in Pittsburgh. You'll find it on 19th St between Smallman and Penn.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
701 posts
1 review
6. Re: Best Breweries

For a tour of several local breweries, check City Brew Tours:

https:/…

Penn Brewery, which is located in the restored late-1800s brick buildings of Eberhardt & Ober Brewery, has occasional tours and beer fests. It's also included in the City Brew Tour

https://www.pennbrew.com/events

Edited: 13 September 2018, 19:09
Reply to: Best Breweries
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted